Anyone doing Lonnie deals in Northern VA? - Posted by Tony_VA

Posted by George (NoVa) on January 06, 1999 at 18:43:58:

Tony,

After you spend all that money, you’ll then find out that there are no $500 Lonnie deals in NoVa! Lot rents run between $300 (this park is a drug haven) to as much as $550 per month (this park is trying to replace older homes with newer models). Fairfax county is also trying to eliminate the existing parks (which they deny when asked, but obvious if you have followed the zoning procedings over the last year or so). The land value for the dirt makes it much more valuble to put $500,000 homes on the land. (Zoning for mobiles is 8 per acre, where as you can put 4 sfh per acre. What would you rather have $20,000 in MH’s or $2 mil in SFH as a tax base?)

There are Lonnie deals to be found in NoVa, but remember you are in the high rent district. A Lonnie deal will be $5000 for a home on a lot where it can stay.

If you want deals in the price ranges that Lonnie talks about in his book, head west. The Front Royal, Winchester area has reasonable deals that can be found without much effort, but it’s an hours drive!

If you really want to do Lonnie deals the ride is worth it! Other nearby areas which are worth looking into are West Virginia (Jefferson county)or in the Culpeper area.

Good luck!

Anyone doing Lonnie deals in Northern VA? - Posted by Tony_VA

Posted by Tony_VA on January 04, 1999 at 22:17:30:

How much does it cost to obtain a Mobile Home dealer license in VA? I was unable to get a hold of DMV by phone and did not have the time to spend a year in line.
I would also like to chat with anyone doing Lonnie deals in the Northern Va area.

Tks in advance.

Re: Anyone doing Lonnie deals in Northern VA? - Posted by Gordon in Panama

Posted by Gordon in Panama on January 05, 1999 at 07:38:02:

Tony,

I purchased Lonnie’s books recently and plan to start doing Lonnie deals in Northern Virginia later this year. I am completing an assignment overseas in March and will be moving to Fairfax county (don’t have a place yet).

Please feel free to e-mail me, I’d like to talk to you.

Regards,
Gordon
mfecpan@sinfo.net

Re: Anyone doing Lonnie deals in Northern VA? - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 05, 1999 at 07:13:35:

Hi Tony,

Glad you enjoyed the books and hope you can get started doing deals, it?s a great business. Even though the books were written in 92-93, the same info applies today. Very little, if any real changes have occurred since then.

There is one change regarding dealer licenses. The DMV no longer issues dealer licenses, it?s now handled by Dept. Of Housing & Community Development in Richmond. You can call them at 804-371-7160 and they will mail you info on getting dealer license. And it can all be done by mail.

In my area, I still find the prices of MH?s to be about the same on the type homes I deal in. However, the prices of new homes have increased considerably since then, but that only increases the demand for inexpensive used homes, especially if you offer financing.

I usually do a weekend seminar in October in Norfolk, 10 miles from home. I?ll let you know if and when I do another, and hope you can make it. (I will be doing a one day workshop in Dallas on Thursday March 4th, the day before CREONLINE convention. The cost is $99, hope you can join us.

Best wishes,

Lonnie

P.S. I tried emailing this yesterday, but it came back as undeliverable. Tried again this morning and still no luck. So I?ll post it here. Call me if I can offer any help.

Re: Anyone doing Lonnie deals in Northern VA? - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 05, 1999 at 06:56:48:

Hi Tony,

I tried emailing you yesterday but my message came back as undeliverable. I just tried again.
VA MH dealer license is now handled by Dept of Housing & Community Development in Richmond. Call 804-371-7160 and they will send you the necessary info.

Best wishes,

Lonnie

Re: Anyone doing Lonnie deals in Northern VA? - Posted by Tony_VA

Posted by Tony_VA on January 05, 1999 at 13:29:09:

Gordon, Here is what I learned in regards to licensing fees. 1st you have to start with HUD. The fees are as follows: $150 Licensing fee plus $500 recovery fee (like a bond) plus $100 sales license fee per person. Of these costs, the following are annually renewable: $100 license fee plus $50 sales license fee per person. Next, you take all the licenses you receive and go to DMV and pay an annually renewable $50 fee for a certificate of registration. Good Luck!

Re: Anyone doing Lonnie deals in Northern VA? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on January 05, 1999 at 12:56:16:

Thanks Lonnie.
I have been having a bad computer week so that may have been some of the problem with my email. I have contacted HUD and have a packet on the way. My wife is currently reading Deals on Wheels and seems to be enjoying it as well. With any luck, this will become a family venture.