Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by Vic

Posted by JohnBoy on March 16, 2001 at 08:54:28:

Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on March 16, 2001 at 02:26:08:

If so was it worth it?

I’m thinking about trying it, but it does seem on the high side. It’s $460 & they’ll send out to 10,000 homes.

Then again you only need one deal out of it. So if you tried it, did it work?

Thanks,
Vic

Re: Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by JasonWDTX

Posted by JasonWDTX on March 18, 2001 at 24:29:18:

A friend of mine uses nothing but Val-Pac coupons and he has done about 20 houses per year for the last 4 years, all “subject to” deals. The houses range from $70-150K in the Dallas market. He still works full time and does not use any other advertising.
I have used Val-Pac some, and mostly other generic versions (supercoups,swbyp’s coupons, etc.) and have had good results also. I also use signs and newspapers so I can’t personally speak just for val-pac. They do work good if you have a good coupon.
I was getting about a deal a mailing when I first started using coupon mailers. It did slow down after a while but it was still bringing in leads, about a deal a month. I stopped using them when I moved out of their coverage area. They only mail to major cities some of the surronding areas. They don’t go out very far in rural areas.
The main key to coupons is to keep mailing each month. Also people will hang on to the coupon and call 6 months or more after they get it.
They average $250-400 per 10,000 but its a whole lot cheaper than post cards even if most of them don’t get read.
Most of the coupon companies are “exclusive” so you can’t mail if a competitor is already hitting the area you want. In parts of Dallas its hard to get an open area that hasn’t already been taken.
If I only had one choice of advertising it would be a toss up between coupons and classified adds. For me they pulled about even.

Jason

Thanks Everyone - All Good Advice! (nt) - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on March 17, 2001 at 24:05:48:

nt

Re: Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by James Harris

Posted by James Harris on March 16, 2001 at 11:40:46:

Just a by the way, if this Val-Pak uses blue envelopes? They might want ot change colors. A little while ago, there was a scare going around about a virus being sent to people(snail mail) that effects the physical body, it can even kill folks. So, some folks that may have received that warning may have thrown the letters in the trash thinking it may contain the virus.

Val-Pak?? - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on March 16, 2001 at 08:47:03:

Sorry to be dense, but what is Val-Pak?

Brian (NY)

Re: Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by SUeC

Posted by SUeC on March 16, 2001 at 08:29:33:

I’m using it now, and am getting good responses. For the first 4 months I got 1 call from each location I mailed in (I tried 3 different areas) and in the 4thmonth got two calls from one specific location. Not great, but it was over Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years. I mailed again one month to that last area, and I’ve gotten 4 calls: a junker, a pre-foreclosure, a fixer plus lot and one elderly seller I’m playing phone tag with. (See my post below about LC vs. L/O on the pre-foreclosure).

It definitely matters what area you send to, Idon’t think these are read as much in more white collar neighborhoods, but the solid middle-income areas and lower income areas I’m getting calls from. These are good neighborhoods, mixed use and mixed income housing, very active buying and selling. I’m paying $366 a month for single-shot mailings, but I plan to buy 8+ mos ($325/mo) when I get a deal to pay for it. It’s far cheaper than direct mail, but pick the right area for it. You can do that by testing, in my area they are offering one month free if you buy three.

Sue Caskey

Re: Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on March 16, 2001 at 07:12:32:

Vic,
I tried it for 3 months, and at some point, will probably do it again. I did not get a great response, but then I also did a plain black print on canary coupon. The multi-color glossies get put in front of the pack.

I averaged one or two calls per mailing, one for notes and one for houses. I still have an offer out and if that one hits, I’ll probably do it again sooner.

Also, I’ve decided the neighborhoods I chose were not the best candidates for the mailings. Yes, they were good neighborhoods where I’d like to own homes, but as I said, maybe the majority of those folks don’t scan through the entire pack.

I’ll be looking for other responses.

Re: Val-Pak?? - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 16, 2001 at 08:58:20:

Direct mail. It’s an advertisement sent out in a blue envelope to homes that are filled with coupon offers from local retailers.

You can check out their web site at www.val-pak.com and find a local owner in your area. They will come out and give you a sample to see what it looks like.

Their mailings are broken down by zip codes and they mail 10,000 homes per mailing zone.

Re: Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 16, 2001 at 13:19:48:

That’s some pricey stuff Sue. I was considering it too, but shyed away after I heard the price. I may break down eventually and try it. I definitely need to work on my marketing for finding sellers!

Are you targeting Montgomery County? If so, do you mind if I ask how your ad reads?

Talk to ya soon and see ya in Georgia!

CAREY

Re: Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by Greg NY

Posted by Greg NY on March 16, 2001 at 08:48:22:

Where can I get information on this program?

Re: Anyone Ever Tried Val-Pak? - Posted by scott in va

Posted by scott in va on March 22, 2001 at 11:05:57:

When you are using val-pak what does your coupon say on it.Anyone else that has used valpak i would appreciate your input too.Thanks in advance scott