Anyone know of a good inexpensive Health Insurance company for self employed people? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Darla on November 28, 1999 at 19:25:18:

Me Too! My husband was in a terrible accident on Monday. He hit black ice and rolled his vehicle 4 times totaling it and he walked away! He was doing 60 mph! We had a lot to be thankful for. We do not have health ins. either. We have not been able to afford it with him being umemployed. He went back to work today!
I will try all of the info on ins. here too so thank you. Just want to let you know I had a bummer weekend too. Darla

Anyone know of a good inexpensive Health Insurance company for self employed people? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on November 28, 1999 at 14:35:58:

Hello all,
Wow, what a weekend. You all know about my pending divorce, (well, not filed “yet”, I’m going monday to do that.)since she has not done it as of now.
This weekend was my first holiday weekend alone, and what an experience it turned out to be.
I am an asthmatic, and have regular attacks, but not BAD ones, unless I’m stressed out.
Which I am right now.
Anyway, Friday, I had probably the worst attack in a while, and when I called my doctor to find out what to do I found out my health insurance was cancelled and had been for a few weeks.I was on my wifes policy, and she took me off the thing. (gee, you think three weeks ago when she left she was planning this before that?)
Anyway, I wound up holding off on medical care for a few hours because I do not have the funds to pay for it.
To make a long story shorter, I wound up having to call an ambulance and goto the E.R., where I quit breathing, and had to be put on a machine and put unconcious. Not a fun time at all. Only good news is that I do not remember any of it.
So, as a result, I was admited to ICU and just got home a few minutes ago. I also had to pay for all my prescriptions with CASH, and am now out $500. Cannot wait to get that hosoital bill!
So, obvioucly I NEED insurance, and basically need a policy that will give me a good break on prescriptions, and emergency room visits. I can handle the major medical IF I get the other stuff, because then I’ll have drugs to treat myself and keep me from needing ICU.
I need a company that will service Illinois. I was given info a while back, and they would not service me here, and also would have charged more than my wifes COBRA policy from her former employer. So, we went with that for all of us.
So, any input is appreciated.
And YES, the money I HAD to spend for her cancelling my insurance PRIOR to even filing for divorce will be asked for her to pay in the divorce, but in the mean time, I NEED coverage.

Thanks all, and hope your having a better weekend than me,
Jim IL

WIFE’S EMPLOYER COULD BE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW - Posted by Suzanne

Posted by Suzanne on November 29, 1999 at 20:56:17:

Under federal law, your wife’s employer is required to notify you of the termination of your insurance coverage and to provide you the option of paying to continue your coverage under their policy for up to 18 months. Contact the Personnel or Human Resources Department at the offices of your wife’s employer and inquire about your “COBRA” benefits.

Hope this helps in the short-term.

Re: Anyone know of a good inexpensive Health Insurance company for self employed people? - Posted by AHenry

Posted by AHenry on November 29, 1999 at 15:20:17:

Yes,look into the C corp benefits–they are impressive.

Also, ARE YOU A VET WHO WAS ON ACTIVE DUTY? You may be elligible.

To anyone in same situation: Call your VA center and find out your elligibility.Doesn’t have to be service-connected.
24/7 ER, free prescriptions
I have dental through NASE Nat Assocn of Self Employed.
I did have NAPP, Nat Assocn of Preferred Providers,
It depends where you live, if they have enough drs.
near you. It’s a discount program. Mine was $30/mo.They would have paid for ambulance, though.
Glad you’re back. These are tough times…

Can you convert to your wife’s ins co? Maybe it’s
not affordable. I dropped my ins when it went up to
$360/mon for one person, no major disease or illness,
no claims…ever… and it went up 25% with one mo warning, no reason, not connected to any event.
So, I love the C corp idea.
Hang in there and keep posting.

Pay your insurance with PRE-tax dollars . . . - Posted by Bronchick

Posted by Bronchick on November 28, 1999 at 16:07:02:

Before you start forking out cash for health insurance, consider forming a C corporation for 2000. This will allow you to deduct 100% of the insurance, the deductibles, dental and other health-related expenses.

Re: Anyone know of a good inexpensive Health Insurance company for self employed people? - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on November 28, 1999 at 15:50:45:

Jim-

Maybe you would want to consider an MSA (medical savings account). If you’re not familiar with that, it is a plan that allows you to contribute a certain amount per year to an account tax-free, and also carry an insurance plan at the same time. Money in this medical savings account can be used to pay any medical bills your insurance doesn’t cover. If you choose insurance with a high deductible, you can contribute the most to your MSA ($1400-$1500/yr). If you choose a low deductible, you can’t contribute as much. But this way you can spend tax-free money for your health care, and anything left over in your MSA when you reach retirement age can be withdrawn for any use.

Try Fortis Insurance, number available in tollfree directory assistance. I only pay about $50/mo. for high deductible Ins.

Re: Anyone know of a good inexpensive Health Insurance company for self employed people? - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on November 28, 1999 at 15:24:46:

Jim,

I feel for you, buddy. You should pursue the matter in your divorce. In Arizona, the parties are given the opportunity to continue insurance through the spouse’s company. Check to see if what she did, without your knowledge, is legal. It sounds suspicious to me.

Anyway, I looked at several companies recently. The best deal I found was through the National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE). You have to join their organization, but even at that, the coverage and costs were still better than I could get anywhere else. I’m paying about $145/month. Here’s their web address:

Good luck.

Bill K. (AZ)

Re: Anyone know of a good inexpensive Health Insurance company for self employed people? - Posted by d.henderson

Posted by d.henderson on November 28, 1999 at 15:18:08:

I know how you feel. We have a tough time getting insurance also, just got a new policy. e-mail me and I will give you all of the info. You will have to check and see if this company covers Illinois.
Sorry about your weekend, but hey, your still here!
dee-Texas