Anyone use Marshall & Swift Guide for estimates? - Posted by ChrisG

Posted by Brandi_TX on May 06, 1999 at 09:28:30:

Jim,

Would you advise allowing the seller to see the book from which the estimates came from (if it ever even became an issue)? Or do you think that would lead to all kinds of un-necessary questions and hassles?

Brandi

Anyone use Marshall & Swift Guide for estimates? - Posted by ChrisG

Posted by ChrisG on May 06, 1999 at 08:32:21:

I recently purchased the “99” Marshall & Swift Repair and Remodel Guide book and it seems like their estimates are a bit on the high side. I think this might be good since in most cases its better to err on the high side and have some extra money rather not enough.

Are their numbers for estimates generally accepted by the investor community? I just want to make sure I don’t too much like an amature when I give prospective buyers repair costs estimates.

Thanks,

Chris
Columbus, Ohio

Re: Anyone use Marshall & Swift Guide for estimates? - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on May 06, 1999 at 08:40:42:

The numbers are quite high. You’ll be able to find considerable numbers of contractors and/or handymen that will work for less.

This isn’t necessarily bad when working with sellers (except to the extent that your offer is unrealistically low as a result). But I wouldn’t use the number with a buyer. Let them come up with their own estimate…chances are it will be less than yours.

JPiper

Re: Anyone use Marshall & Swift Guide for estimates? - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on May 07, 1999 at 12:16:36:

As an experiment, I dug out the receipt from when I had my roof replaced a couple years back, and figured the same number of squares with Marshall & Swift (1988). After using the local area adjustment factor, there was only about $50 difference on a $2000 job. Of course I didn’t shop for the cheapest contractor, and this was just after most of the roofs in town had suffered hail damage.

Bert G.