Are small towns out of the question? - Posted by Bruce

Posted by Dee-Texas on December 04, 2000 at 18:42:41:

I would start now, getting to know this fellow. He will be a wealth of information for now and down the road. Who knows he just might want to sell to that young kid that was so interested in what he does (instead of family, that sometimes is just waiting to cash out)
Listen and learn.
Dee-Texas

Are small towns out of the question? - Posted by Bruce

Posted by Bruce on December 03, 2000 at 21:06:39:

I live in a small county seat town pop. 2900. Only about 3 mobile home parks in town and at least one I talked to won’t allow a Lonnie deal. One pm I talked to said the only way they can make money is to rent both trailer and lot, since they can only get about $75 a month for a lot in this town. Private lots are scarce. There are a lot of mobiles scattered around town but a lot of them are grandfathered in. Only possibility I see of doing any deal is to try to find a small lot outside city limits to put a trailer on – if one can be found. Only one mobile dealer in town, and he said used trailers usually go fast. Most, I think, go to area ranchers to be used as bunkhouses.

Are Lonnie deals only for big cities? Has anybody tried them in small towns with any success?

Thanks,

Bruce

Re: Are small towns out of the question? - Posted by Chris-Ga.

Posted by Chris-Ga. on December 04, 2000 at 09:18:35:

Bruce, What about the third MHP? And if used trailers go fast then this sounds like a good opportunity for you as long as you can find a park to work.You may need to travel a little ways outside the town to find a park.

Re: Are small towns out of the question? - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on December 04, 2000 at 06:37:28:

Hello Bruce,
I’m in the same sort of town. The deals are harder to find. I’m competing with people that want them for hunting cabins on leases, so they go for more than the regular Lonnie deal, but not much more. So just keep looking, even if you have to pay a bit more make sure it’s in good shape and do your do dilengence.
If you have a near by town, you might try to expand your hunting grounds smile
Best of success,
Dee-Texas

Maybe my best bet would be to . . . - Posted by Bruce (NE)

Posted by Bruce (NE) on December 04, 2000 at 18:19:12:

Focus on the long run in my small town, try to do a few deals for experience and wait for the big fish.

The “big fish” in my case would be the town’s biggest and nicest mobile home park. It is about 30 spaces, with about six park owned mobiles, some RV spots and a motel of about 16 rooms.

The park is owned by a fellow who is at least 95 and who still manages it on a day to day basis along with an assistant. But even the energizer bunny will some day run down, and I hope I am in a better financial position than I now am when that day comes…

Thanks for your good input!

Bruce