Are there any free comps for market RENTS? - Posted by Ronnie

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on March 30, 2000 at 13:44:13:

No, it isn’t. I pull AZ and NV comps from OCTitle all the time.

Mark

Are there any free comps for market RENTS? - Posted by Ronnie

Posted by Ronnie on March 30, 2000 at 13:16:17:

Thank you all for introducing me to Octitle to get free comps of home SALES. Is there a way to get free (or low cost) comps for market RENTS (other than asking a realtor to check the MLS)? This is often a critical piece of evaluating a deal.

Thanks,

Ronnie

Re: Are there any free comps for market RENTS? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 30, 2000 at 16:46:31:

Ronnie-

In addition to all of the other good advice here you may want to call your local Section 8 office and ask them what they show as the market rate for your property type. This does not mean you have to rent Section 8- I just suggest it as another figure to keep in mind.

You can compare the rates to see what is most beneficial for you. Some areas have a Section 8 rate above the normal rent rate for the area and some areas have a Section 8 below.

You could also call a property management firm in the area and while asking about their services/fees ask what the rate is.

If you know any other investors in your area ask them what the going rate is. They may have some good pointers to pass along such as how much the rent could be increased to with lease/options,etc.

-Good Luck, Chris

Try Apartments by Rent Net - Posted by messerb

Posted by messerb on March 30, 2000 at 16:06:43:

Ronnie,

There are several online apartment locators. You can do a search in Yahoo for “apartments” and come up with several. The one that works the best for me is Apartments by Rent Net.

Try them at www.rent.net.

Monique

How about your local paper’s “For Rent” section? - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on March 30, 2000 at 15:55:55:

Ronnie,

It’ll give you a good idea of rental rates in various areas of your town.

I hope this helps.

Bill K. (AZ)

Octile - Posted by Len(NYC)

Posted by Len(NYC) on March 30, 2000 at 14:19:26:

can you tell me more about octile and where I can find this valuable information or something similar. Thanks.

Re: Are there any free comps for market RENTS? - Posted by osirus

Posted by osirus on March 30, 2000 at 14:12:42:

In my neck of the woods there are free appartment rental booklets that most apartment complexes advertise in. They are usually available at newspaper stands or are located in the rental offices of apartment complexes. It gives you side by side comparasions. I assume there is somthing similar in other parts of the country. I suppose it could be used for a basis for market rent analysis.

Re: Are there any free comps ? - Posted by dave

Posted by dave on March 30, 2000 at 13:36:51:

Ronnie-

I would add to your question… is there a way to get free comps for market values? appraisers have this information in minutes… I don’t want to bother them (or pay for their services) during the qualification phase… Octitle looks like it is for Southern CA only.
thanks-
dave.

Re: Octile - Posted by Ronnie

Posted by Ronnie on March 30, 2000 at 14:32:25:

The website/company is called OCTITLE and though it’s based in CA, you can get comps in many other states such as MD where I live.

I would NOT say that it’s intuitive to get the comps, though. But you can easily get step-by-step instructions by doing a SEARCH on this website for either OCTITLE or “free comps” … that’s how I figured out how to use it.

Ronnie