Are these offers fair? - Posted by Amy

Posted by Brent_IL on April 07, 2002 at 16:01:28:

Amy,

In my opinion only, you’re making a classic mistake in trying to get your offers accepted.

In this case, you have decided on three offers and asked the seller to choose one. He or she may choose none. He may choose not to look at the offer.

The way to get a high percentage of offers accepted is to talk to the sellers to find out what the really need from the sale, get together, and to jointly build an offer with them that will satisfy their needs. Otherwise, you?re the only party to the negotiations.

If sellers only need one thing of importance out of the sale, and you find a way to give it to them, the sellers will give you everything that you’re asking for to buy the house.

The time to consider the reasonableness of an offer is before you make it.

Are these offers fair? - Posted by Amy

Posted by Amy on April 07, 2002 at 10:50:28:

Just made 3 offers on a home…wondering if they sound reasonable.

Guy has owned home for 2 years & has already moved into new home, been on market for 6 mos. and has been listed with a realtor the full 6 mos. Asking price is $68,500 and needs no work. I know he paid $59,000 2 years ago and he owes $46,000 with $540 payments.

I offered the following:

Take his loan “subject to” with payments starting in 60 days and giving him a note for $18000 interest free for 15 years ($100/mo.) with payments starting in 12 months.

$50 deposit to lease option for 3 years at $540/mo with $100 rent credit/mo., sale price of $60,000, payments to start 30 days after lease begins

$300 deposit to lease option for 2 years at $575/mo with $50 rent credit/mo., sale price of $57,000, payments to start 60 days after lease begins

Re: Are these offers fair? - Posted by J. Clifton

Posted by J. Clifton on April 07, 2002 at 20:31:25:

Brent had it right below. Yes, you need to have the versatility be able to solve a seller’s problem in at least two ways (in case they object to one particular variation). You can verbally outline the other offer early in the negotiation, to help explain how your alternative/investor approach can help them, but you should only WRITE one offer or contract. Multiple offers should be used to help focus the mind of the seller, not confuse them.