Asbestos Removal...need help... - Posted by Chuck-NY

Posted by RR Smith on March 09, 2000 at 05:04:18:

Good advice MPLS, espectically the part about not going with the low bidder (remember most gov. jobs are low bidder, and don’t work very well), and multiple bids.

Asbestos Removal…need help… - Posted by Chuck-NY

Posted by Chuck-NY on March 08, 2000 at 22:19:46:

I need to get rid of what appear to be 2 1934 hot water
heaters or stoves or …who knows what!!

They are totally and completely covered with asbestos
and are located in my mothers basement.

Who should I call to have them removed and what
can I expect to have to pay??

Re: Demo & HVAC Contractors - Posted by Rolfe Mpls/StP

Posted by Rolfe Mpls/StP on March 09, 2000 at 01:20:13:

Chuck;

I’ve had to have several of those old water heaters, boilers, and furnaces removed. It wasn’t as bad as I had feared.

Check local and state building codes to determin if indeed the asbestos must be removed.

In Minnesota, the asbestos is allowed to remain in place if it is encapsulated - well contained or tightly rapped - and any scheduled work will not disturb the covering. If the material is “friable”, breaking apart or in the process therof, or if the asbestos covered item is to be removed, then most likely an abatement should be done.

Try two things;

1. Call several demolition contractors, and ask if they have a license for asbestos removal specific to your situation. Get at least three price quotes - five is better. Remember, the lowest price may not be the best price.

2. Call some HVAC contractors. Although they generally will not touch the demo, they run into this situation often, and may be able to recommend somebody.

I believe my costs were somewhere around $800 per item. Last year we pulled two huge “Octopus” gravity furnaces, with twisty big pipes covered with asbestos, out of a duplex. The cost was $1800. Later that summer I paid $800 to have a small furnace removed from a single family home.

If you have multiple items, get a price break (don’t pay $1000 each). Make sure you specify to have all asbestos coverings on pipes and ducts removed. Or, remove the entire pipe, which may cost less.

Have fun, and Good Luck.

Your humble servant, Rolfe