Asbestos siding, Historic home? - Posted by Heath

Posted by Kathi on July 14, 2003 at 19:48:30:

You probably could remove it to reveal the original siding beneaty. It is likely to be narrow clapboards. It is likely that a historic district commission would vote to allow you to remove the asbestos sideing to return the home to its original condition. Asbestos sideing was sold, as vinyl siding is today, as a maintenance free solution to the re-painting problem.

Asbestos siding, Historic home? - Posted by Heath

Posted by Heath on July 11, 2003 at 19:45:30:

I found a house for sale today that was built in 1915. I suspect that it has asbestos siding shingles. Should this keep me from investing in this house. I think it is designated as historic too. Price is good and location is great. What effect does asbestos and historic designation have on it’s investment potential?
Heath

Re: Asbestos siding, Historic home? - Posted by jay (MI)

Posted by jay (MI) on July 14, 2003 at 07:57:33:

As mentioned, the shingles pose no threat. I have torn them off, and also went right over them with siding.

The fact that the house has “historic” value could keep you from adding on or changing the structure. I can tell you that in my town it pretty much means that you can’t tear it down.

Re: Asbestos siding, Historic home? - Posted by Kathi

Posted by Kathi on July 12, 2003 at 13:43:02:

Homes in historic districts generally appreciate at a greater rate than those in surrounding areas. Asbestos shingles are a safe as long as they are undesturbed. The asbestos fibers are imbedded in cement. They should last several lifetimes. If they look OK and have not been painted, I would just power wash the house.