Asking your landlord to sell - Posted by Robert

Posted by Rich on July 10, 2003 at 23:06:15:

Robert,

Your question is not stupid at all. In fact, it is a very good idea. You might consider asking your landlord if he wants to sell EVERY MONTH when you give him the rent check.

Another idea along the same lines is to ask all the landlords in the area if they are interested in selling. Go thru the paper and call every for rent ad that is not a property management company. You will eventually find someone that will be receptive of your offer. It may take doing a lease option with them, but that is OK. you’ll eventually end up with the property. Good luck,

Rich

Asking your landlord to sell - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on July 10, 2003 at 20:56:47:

Anyone have any ideas on a possible approach to my landlord. I am very new and would like to ultimatleu start by getting out of my own rental situation. I have asked my lanlord if he may consider it but he really wasnt thinking about sellind the unit.

I figured I would run it by you folks and see if I could persuade him in other ways.

This is probablly a stupid question but I figured Id ask.

Re: Asking your landlord to sell - Posted by Marc

Posted by Marc on July 14, 2003 at 22:25:47:

I also bought my own rental property from my landlord. It has a lot of advantages, not least of which is that you have lived in the place and know the goods and bads of it. In my case, I was already friends with the landlord and then he started to run into money problems, so I basicaly bailed him out. But even if your own landlord is not in that situation, at least it is good that he knows you are interested. Something may come up, and then he will have a ready buyer. In addition, he has experience in owning properties, and would probably be interested in sharing it with you. Ask him how he got into real estate, etc. Even if he does not sell you his own property he might give you ideas or leads on other properties.

-Marc

Re: Asking your landlord to sell - Posted by James (FL)

Posted by James (FL) on July 11, 2003 at 08:38:08:

Robert,

I bought my first home in this manner. I was renting from him for approximately one year, and in lieu of renewing the lease, I sent him a written offer to purchase the home. The FMV was probably around $140 or so at the time, and I offered him $125K. It took him a few weeks to respond, but the letter I received back was an agreement to sell me the property for $125K. His reasoning was, he was in need of cash right then and there. I agree with Rich. Send him an offer every month, and one month when he may be short on cash, or need it for something else, he may surprise you and accept.

James