Assisted Care Homes - Posted by vern

Posted by Dan on July 02, 2004 at 09:39:56:

Well, unfortunately, the answer to all of these is ‘it depends’. Ultimately it depends on the level of care which will range from independent to high level dementia care. This will dictate the number/type of staffing, licensure, and to a certain extent rates. Check with local COC’s - most large counties have people liasing on this now. Rates are really dependent upon what you’re offering and, again, the level of care. Overall, I personally wouldn’t see a 5 resident ALF as being sustainable - as care level escalates, the owner would be open to further licensing issues or significant vacancy problems. Independent care, might work whereby you run a sort of ‘bed and breakfast’. For this, limited licensing would be required, and you could provide minimal services - housekeeping, laundry, meals, etc. I would estimate, depending on where it’s located, that rates for full service independent care would range from $1,200 to $2,000 per month.

Assisted Care Homes - Posted by vern

Posted by vern on July 01, 2004 at 17:08:48:

Hello All,

On a somewhat related topic to real estate, what can anyone tell me about Assisted Living/Care Homes?

For those that know less than I do. Assisted Living is similar/same as a retirement home. But, Assisted Living homes can be the huge places that have hundreds of residents or they can be a home where there a just a few residents.

I have a buddy who asked me about it, and I promised I would check with the REI community to see if anyone is well versed on the subject.

Thanks,

Vern Vaughan
Realstar Properties.

Re: Assisted Care Homes - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on July 01, 2004 at 18:55:50:

Pretty broad topic, but I’m in the industry. Is there something specific you’re looking to find out?

Re: Assisted Care Homes - Posted by Vern

Posted by Vern on July 02, 2004 at 05:37:28:

How would assisted living work on a smaller scale, i.e. A properly zoned single familly home where you may have 5 residents. How many staff members are required per residents? Who must be on staff? What are the going rates in your part of the country? What business or other liscenses are required to run an assisted living home?