Assisted Living? - Posted by Skip

Posted by Skip on October 12, 2004 at 17:40:12:

I called the my insurance co. (State Farm), and they called the underwriter and called me back with a definite “No.” They said they won’t insure any formal business.

Assisted Living? - Posted by Skip

Posted by Skip on October 10, 2004 at 22:59:16:

A minister of a church looked at one of my houses for rent today. She wants to use it for assisted living for 3 elderly people and one live-in person to take care of them. I asked her if it required any special zoning and she said not unless there are more than 3 patients. Her church does it as a ministry to elderly people who can’t live alone. She has a license to do this. She would be personally responsible for the rent, so I would do a background check on her.

Does anyone know if renting a house for assisted living poses extra risk to the owner? I’m guessing I should call my insurance company; they’re the ones insuring the property, so I should ask them, right?

I was also thinking that I should ask the minister for the names and numbers of the landlords of some of their other assisted living homes.

I am a relative newbie (as you can tell) and have no experience with assisted living. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Assisted Living? - Posted by David

Posted by David on October 11, 2004 at 18:56:56:

Skip you might want to check with your housing enforcement to make sure of the rules.