Atlanta Convention - Posted by Michael Seymour

Posted by Evelyn (FL) on March 24, 2001 at 21:23:44:

Living in Atlanta, you have half the battle won. I did not prepare myself adequately, due to my work schedule, to attend and I am sure I will miss what I know will be a wonderful opportunity to network, learn and fasforward my real estate investing career.

It sounds like, what has happened to you is a blessing in disguise. Michael, beg, borrow, (but try not to steal!!:slight_smile: the money to get there. Your children will be more proud of you in a few months when you’re wheelin’ and dealin’!!!

I’ll see you at next’s year’s convention…wherever it is.

Evelyn

Atlanta Convention - Posted by Michael Seymour

Posted by Michael Seymour on March 24, 2001 at 10:23:59:

My name is Michael Seymour age 42 and living in atlanta . I am very interested in your convention March 30 to April 1. I am the owner and operator of a truck. I spent my adult life trying to make it work for my kids and I but can’t make it work. Yesterday March 23 four days after my 42nd birthday I got a call to go on a job after sitting for over two weeks, on my forth trip my truck flip over I felt like giving up on life after I realized my insurance as been cancled. I think of my 4 kids so I told myself I can’t give up. So I got up this morning got on the internet to try and find another way to take care of my family and that’s how I fond CRE Online. What I am asking you is out of the ordinary. If you could find it in you heart to give me a seat at your convention because at this time of my life I can’t come up with the money.I will be willing to work at your convention to earn a seat. Think you in advance.

Re: Atlanta Convention - Posted by AnnNC

Posted by AnnNC on March 25, 2001 at 13:58:56:

Check the left hand column on home page at the bottom under “resources” for local REIA clubs. About $99/yr
with first meeting free.
I’m thinking perhaps you can get short term insurance, or use the internet to search. Don’t know how CD ins.
works.
If you still have your CD license maybe you can get a job through it. Also, I think small business admininstration could help with a loan and perhaps other advice, especially since you’re already a business.
Feel free to email me for other inexpensive info.
Ann

A different opinion - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on March 25, 2001 at 08:24:57:

Michael,

It sounds like you have a big, immediate financial problem. It is unlikely that you are going to find the solution on the internet or at the convention.

You need a JOB.

Frankly, Michael, that is a dirty word here. Most contributors here are either very happy that they no longer have to work a job or they are working to get out of one.

You problem is (I think) that you need to support your family NOW. You need money now. You need medical insurance for your family now.

Although it is within the realm of possibility, it is unlikely that the convention or RE investing will bring you a steady flow of cash right away.

Based on the little you have told us, I think you need to get off of the internet and spend some quality time with the Atlanta Journal help wanted ads. It sounds like your truck operation never worked well. Maybe the loss of your truck is a good thing to force you out of that business.

Get yourself a job. Get a steady income coming in to provide for your family. Once things get under control, learn everything you can on this site and then you can venture into this arena.

It’s too easy to lose yourself in dreams and the internet. Put that aside and return to them when you get back on your feet.

I hope to see you at the convention…next year.

Best of luck to you, Michael.

Ron Guy

Re: Atlanta Convention - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 24, 2001 at 20:14:28:

If you already living in Atlanta, it will only cost you a few hundred dollars since no hotel will be required. If you are creative enough you find some way to come up with the money to attend. Nothing worthwhile comes easy.

Sick and tired of being sick and tired ! - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on March 24, 2001 at 11:45:57:

Wow, I am excited by your post. You are at the point of no return - you are now ready to make a decision to say “I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired” and I’m going to do something about it. No matter what it takes , no matter what I have to do, I am NOT going to live like this anymore.

This is the beginning of great things in your life. This chance encounter with the site will either be the greatest thing that has ever happened to you OR will be another lost opportunity three weeks from now. It is entirely your decision.

My first reaction is to get a hold of you and say I will give you the money to go to this convention because I sense you are “ready”. But then, my mind tells me that No this is not the answer. Neither is a “free” seat at the convention. The answer is that YOU must do whatever it takes to find a way to get to this convention. If your tranny on your car blew or your furnace went on the blink you would find a way to fix them. This is no different because if you can find a way to get yourself there then you can be prepared for the big pile of obstacles that will confront you on every real estate deal you do.

Do you want someone to feed you today or teach you to fish for a lifetime ?

Good Luck and I hope you get to the convention.It will be worth it that I can guarantee you !!!

(P.S. Congartulations on having the courage and the will to post this request on this forum. It must not have been easy and I commend you for it)

Re: A different opinion - Posted by Rose

Posted by Rose on March 25, 2001 at 12:55:54:

Thanks for posting that Ron. I notice that lot of newbies come here thinking that REI is quick get rich scheme, I am not saying it can’t be done.

But new REI’s need to be careful in their thinking that they can’t just go full time in REI without any previous knowledge or some steady income to support them for monthly bills.

Good advise is to start part time (evenings, weekends), learn, observe other investors, study their posts and read books and find properties and repeat it with persistancy…and I know I will make it there.

Lot of times most people quit too soon, get frustrated and give up too soon. If you have that steady income it makes it more easier to build your business.

I know I am knew to REI…but this is my opinion. So to all those new REI’s…Don’t give up…just get your priorities straight.

Rose

I agree… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on March 25, 2001 at 08:46:33:

IMHO, Ron is completely right. Walk before you run: get a job. Your inflated desire to become a rei is likely a more subtle avoidance of your present circumstances. Fix your daily life first; then invest later.

Not all J.O.B.s are bad. In fact, when you got a good one, they help your credit and borrowing power immensely. That helps your rei career immensely. While landlording and jobholding aren’t the most popular topics around here, both can lead to wealth creation if you play your cards right.

First, though, get a deck of cards. Get a job and provide for your family.

HR

Re: Sick and tired of being sick and tired ! - Posted by Michael Seymour

Posted by Michael Seymour on March 24, 2001 at 12:21:21:

I know it will worth it to be there so I will try my best. Thank you for taking the time to answer my e-mail

Re: Sick and tired of being sick and tired ! - Posted by cletus

Posted by cletus on March 25, 2001 at 01:03:00:

I never knew how to fix my tranny but you said I would “find a way” Golly I did!!!