Attorneys...(arghh!!) (and I'm one of them) - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Laure on May 04, 2000 at 21:17:10:

Thank goodness for the insurance fund. Sure makes your blood boil though, doesn’t it?

Laure :slight_smile:

Attorneys…(arghh!!) (and I’m one of them) - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on May 04, 2000 at 12:49:07:

I just have to vent. I sold a very valuable tax lien last year to another investor. I got most of the proceeds up front but $30,000 was put in escrow with his attorney pending the completion of the foreclosure. While reading the law journal the other day, I notice this particular attorney was DISBARRED, upon further inquiry, it’s because escrowed money is missing! To add insult to injury, he has vacated his office and left no forwarding address. Like my immigrant grandfather would say, “SUMMUVABEECH”! Off to the client protection fund.

Attorneys - Experience and Lawyer Joke (LONG) - Posted by ChuckP

Posted by ChuckP on May 05, 2000 at 08:46:19:

Hi Ben,

Once upon a time when I used to have a job, a corporate attorney tried to switch agreements on me. He (they) presented an agreement that we worked on and all agreed to and then, upon transferring, he presented another agreement that completely and totally breached the first agreement. I refused to sign it and promptly thereafter, the company president made a veiled threat to litigation. They then hired a New York law firm and went to work on me.

In the process, I hired four lawyers (tax, IP, Harvard, and corporate) and worked out a deal. The New York lawyers kept saying no, but I kept explaining why my deal was good for his client. In order to keep costs down, I negotiated directly with their attorneys (I wouldn’t recommend this although things came out good).

After about a week on a phone to NY, their position softened and 26 pages later, we had a deal. I can’t say much about the details, but the corporate lawyer tried to pull a fast one. Real slime ball.

LAWYER JOKE:

Once upon a time God and Satan lived next to each other. A fence seperated their property. One morning, God woke up to find garbage in his yard and the fence knocked down. For the next two weeks, this happened on regular basis every weekend.

One Sunday morning, after yet another wild party, steam spewed from God’s ears as he viewed a demolished fence and garbage all over. God then walked over to Satan’s house and angrily knocked on the door.

“If you don’t stop knocking over the fence and throwing garbage in my yard, I’ll get a lawyer and sue,” God angrily swore.

Satan paused for a moment, looked away, and then said, “Where you gonna get a lawyer?”

Re: Attorneys… Some Good, some tempted by Greed - Posted by NJDave

Posted by NJDave on May 05, 2000 at 05:59:50:

Our nonprofit housing counseling organization had several clients with foreclosed mortgage loans who were victimized by an unscrupulous attorney who asked that future mortgage payments be sent to him, that he would stop pending foreclosures and obtain workouts…

He collected payments, never disbursed those payments to mortgagees, and ended up getting caught. He was found shot (and later died) outside his office.

But, on the other side of the coin, there are many attornies who help the working poor at no cost. There are even some hard money lenders & real estate investors who sacrifice potential profit for the benefit of foreclosed homeowners seeking to preserve their continued homeownership.

Re: Attorneys…(arghh!!) (and I’m one of them) - Posted by Corey (ND)

Posted by Corey (ND) on May 04, 2000 at 21:59:20:

Little know fact, there is also a similar fund (at least where I live) set up for fraudulant Realtors.