Attorneys fee...WHAT? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by Bill Bronchick on May 23, 2005 at 10:58:34:

Here’s the problem, Leon - did you agree on what the fees would be for his services? If not, this is partly your fault for not asking, but also his fault for not disclosing the fee arrangement.

In my office, we bill MINIMUM one hour. That’s $300. That’s just me. Many attorneys bill minimum half hour, and some minimum 15 mins. For a new client, there’s always a minimum fee because of scheduling the meeting, entering info into the database, and, of course, the risk of liability for even meeting with a new client, which is why attorneys often have a min fee they charge, regardless of whether they prepare a one page document or a 10 page document.

Attorneys fee…WHAT? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on May 22, 2005 at 11:51:53:

The attorney sat with me for maybe 10 minutes and took my deposit on a property I had under contract. I assigned the contract. My buyer wants to close at his attorneys office, that’s fine. My attorneys assistant typed up a release of deposit for me. He’s not doing the closing.

He sent me a bill for $175.00.

This doesn’t quite seem inline with any minutely wages I’ve ever seen. Is this guy trying to tell me to take my business elsewhere? If he is that’s just fine with me and I’ll be glad to tell him exactly that and pay that freaking ridiculous bill.

I believe I’ve just been gouged by this guy. Not to mention another attorney in my town let me buy a house with a lien on it for the tax value of the property. I’ve got my work cut out for me finding a good attorney in Mooresville NC it seems.

Leon

Re: Attorneys fee…WHAT? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on May 26, 2005 at 14:22:43:

I don’t think that’s too bad. He may be billing you for a minimum of 1 hour, which means his hourly rate is pretty reasonable.

Professionals need to get paid for their time. Some people probably think I pay my CPA too much ($1095 for our corporate tax return). I think he’s worth every penny and more.