Australian Real Estate & Location - Posted by Troy Sheather

Posted by Darren on May 22, 2000 at 08:48:46:

David
I am also living in Melbourne. What towns are you investing in? I saw the other day in the melbourne sun, houses in Moe for $20,000. Would you consider this town, or would its bad reputation put you off. I have a couple of properties in melbourne and have been looking at ballarat or geelong. What is your opinion.
Regards

Australian Real Estate & Location - Posted by Troy Sheather

Posted by Troy Sheather on May 22, 2000 at 24:37:50:

I am interested in investing in Australia, preferably Sydney. I am Australian but will be living in Japan for the next 5 or so years. Therefore it is difficult for me to go and check all possible investment properties personally. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could get around this ie. getting an independent person to check the house/unit etc rather than just listening to the agent.

I have family in Australia and also have considered forming some type of partnership with them and we all invest together. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this set-up? Other options?

Also if a property is showing a positive cashflow how crucial is location. I ask because I see many properties in the country areas that show fantastic rents compared to purchase prices (obviously the house price will not rise as quickly as city real estate) but is it still worth investing in it if it shows positive cashflow?

I know these are all general questions but any advice would be appreciated.

Further does anybody know good lawyers and accountants that can help with real estate investing (not negatively gearing).

Sorry about the length of the post.

Thanks in advance.

Troy

Re: Australian Real Estate & Location - Posted by David

Posted by David on May 22, 2000 at 04:26:47:

Troy,
I am an accountant living in Melbourne and investing in regional areas. My only rule is that it must be within 1 1/2 hours drive from home. Your family may be able to satisfy this requirement for you.

David