Auto-Dialers to Generate Leads? - Posted by Joel Ray (TX)

Posted by Jim Locker on January 22, 2001 at 20:49:25:

The newspaper showed up, the gymnasium didn’t.

After getting the judgement against the gymnasium, I turned it over to an attorney, telling him I wanted a padlock order and sheriff’s sale to collect my judgement (I knew this was possible but didn’t know how to do it). To do this, he had to kick it into municipal court and get the court to order a debtor’s exam. When no one showed up for that, he got a court order to sieze assets. The bailiff went to the gym and closed it.

Then they paid. With collection costs. This was back about 1987.

It was a hassle, but you know what? My name came off mailing lists. The calls stopped for a long time. When it started again, mostly telecomm companies, then I went after AT&T. Which stopped the calls for a long time again.

These days, I am too busy. I just tell them they are blacklisted and hang up on them.

Auto-Dialers to Generate Leads? - Posted by Joel Ray (TX)

Posted by Joel Ray (TX) on January 22, 2001 at 15:30:55:

I’m gearing up to use mass marketing strategies to blanket my area in search for leads in addition to business cards, newspaper ads, vehicle magnets, etc. Has anyone had any luck or considered using Auto-dialers for lead generation? If so, which one would you recommend? Thanks in Advance.

Joel Ray (TX)

Re: Auto-Dialers to Generate Leads? - Posted by Merle

Posted by Merle on January 23, 2001 at 07:18:20:

Joel … you generated some interesting info, but, to answer your question.

Several years ago, we looked into auto dialers for another business. The concept for telemarketing can be fantastic. The equipment cost is OK … several thousand dollars.

The big problem is the cost of the names to “feed” the dialers. These things can consume hundreds of leads in a very short time. We opted to not buy them as the cost for the leads would have been (for that business) about $3,000 per day. An expensive appetite.

I am sure there is equipment that would be less costly, but be sure to look at the cost of the names before you decide to use dialers.

Merle

Re: Auto-Dialers to Generate Leads? - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on January 22, 2001 at 17:30:15:

You should make sure they’re legal in your area for your purpose.

Also, don’t call me. If you do, the charge for my time to listen to your message is $500.00. I will never do business with you if you solicit me that way, I will blacklist you, and the moment you call, I will inform you of the $500 charge, then I’ll collect it even if I have to haul you into court.

In the past, I have forced an area newspaper to pay me, AT&T has paid me, a local gymnasium has paid me. Now no one pesters me on the phone.

Re: Auto-Dialers to Generate Leads? - Posted by jasonTX

Posted by jasonTX on January 23, 2001 at 15:58:53:

I used to work at a company that used a directory to input phone number ranges to
call EX 555-0000 - 555-9999. I can’t remember the name of the Directory though (Coles maybe?).

What you have to do, however, is make sure that you aren’t calling any business or emergency numbers.

The directory lists by prefix (ex 555) and then lists all of the numbers that start with that prefix. So, you have to go through and find all of the “bad” numbers that you shouldn’t call.

Hope this helps

Re: Auto-Dialers to Generate Leads? - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 22, 2001 at 18:17:11:

Is there some kind of state statue that allows you to collect $500 for damages or something, or is there a trick to being able to pull this off? Details Jim, details! :slight_smile:

Re: Jim, Tell me how to do this! - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 22, 2001 at 17:33:33:

I detest sales calls. Tell me how you did this!

Stacy

Re: Jim, Tell me how to do this! - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on January 22, 2001 at 18:38:41:

The Federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act makes it possible for you to collect $500 from telephone solicitors who won’t leave you alone, but I was doing it before that act was passed.

I used to do it like this: Telephone pest calls and identifies self. If he doesn’t identify self, ask questions until you know who he is and who his company is. Then, I would inform him that; “I have a sideline business, and that business is that I listen to the pitch of a telephone solicitor. I will not purchase, ever, but I will offer critiques if asked. The cost of this service is $500. If you proceed with this call, you incur the charge, or if you EVER call back, you incur the charge. Do you wish to proceed?”

Of course, they don’t proceed. So after the call, I send them a letter (certified) that tells them in writing what I told them on the phone. (computers make all this pretty easy, especially when your flow of business takes you to the post office frequently anyway.

So eventually, they call again. Then you politely inform them that they HAVE just incurred the charge, and tell them that you will now listen to their pitch. Invariably they are thrown off stride, and usually hang up.

Then you send them a bill. When they ignore it, you send them a demand for payment. When they ignore it, you sue them in small claims court. It works.

But with the telephone consumer protection act, none of it is necessary. When they call you the first time, you inform them that “per the requirements of the Federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act, I am ordering you to put me on your ‘no call’ list, and to send me a copy of your policies pertaining to not calling people who don’t want to be solicited.” If they fail to comply, sue them in small claims court. If they do comply, file the papers where you won’t lose them. Then when they call you again, demand payment. When they don’t pay, sue them. This is how I got AT&T.

You will also get a lot of ideas from www.privacy.org and from www.junkbusters.com

Re: Jim, Tell me how to do this! - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on January 24, 2001 at 06:14:14:

Jim,thanks for the info. I’ve never heard of the TCPA, so I looked it over at http://www.fcc.gov/ccb/consumer_news/unsolici.html

Until I read the info I thought I was good to go by having an unlisted phone number-turns out you need a Non-Published number or a directory assistance operator will release it. Now I know.

It looks like the $500 depends on the state you live in.

Re: Jim, Tell me how to do this! - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 22, 2001 at 19:23:52:

Just curious,

The one’s you ended up taking to small claims, did they all show up to defend themselves?