Automatic rent collection - Posted by Lubasha

Posted by Chris in FL on September 09, 2011 at 09:40:48:

Lubasha,

That landlord trade-off question will be eternal… Should I settle for less neighborhood or not, because it certainly cash flows better? I have a friend/investor that told me, “Chris, there is cash in the trash”. Always stuck with me. You can make uncommonly good money in marginal areas, but make sure you don’t go into war zones! I deal in many lower end rentals (have some better houses too), and my rule of thumb is, if a decent home in the area won’t draw decent people to want to live in it, I don’t go there! If I don’t feel safe collecting rents there, forget it (though I seldom ever collect rents at my properties)! I find it easy to be in working class neighborhoods, still get good homes at good prices, but avoid war zones/ghettos.

Agree with one other poster - it sounds like maybe you should deal with a property management company that handles rent collection, etc., if you are not comfortable handling it yourself. If you have enough properties long enough, guaranteed sooner or later you will have to deal with someone not paying. Make sure you qualify people on likelihood of paying on time, and don’t ever put someone in without full first month’s rent and security deposit. Personally, I find property management way too easy to pay someone the 10% going rate just to collect rent and handle occassional phone calls. I have some residents mail their rent, and I have a few that deposit directly into one of my bank accounts. I bank with several local banks with lots of branches, so that makes it easy. I also keep separate accounts for these deposits, and keep low balances in them… I don’t need any monkey business happening to an account with a large balance, and I don’t need tenants seeing on their deposit receipt that I have a $50K balance (it could set off sirens in their head - ‘how can I get some of my landlord’s money?’).

Personally, I use a method I learned from my landlord back when I was renting - I blend with my tenants. I don’t dress fancy, flash cash, act rich… I act like what I am - decent, hard working, responsible… I let tenants know I am running a business that requires rents paid on time to work correctly, and to pay mortgages, taxes, insurance, and repairs, and to support my family. What they don’t need to know is that I also do quite well financially…

As far as Section 8 goes, I think it varies by location. Where I am at, Section 8 is not in high demand by landlords… Overall, Section 8 tenants come with their good and bad, the same as other tenants. I will say, most people on Section 8 are motivated to pay their part of the rent, and keep their place okay, because if they get evicted, they also get kicked off Section 8 (lose their financial assistance)! Locally, Section 8 allows landlords to post information about vacancies at their offices, but I never had a ton of response to that. My method is to make my place decent, clean, and inviting… Put a sign in the yard and maybe a few directionals, and if the phone isn’t ringing enough, an ad in the local paper… If Section 8 people apply and qualify, great. If someone else qualifies (pays their rent on time and takes good care of their place), great. Section 8 is a little more red tape (paperwork hassle), but that is offset by the higher likelihood of no issues getting paid.

Enough Landlording 101 for today!!!

Best wishes,
Chris in FL

Automatic rent collection - Posted by Lubasha

Posted by Lubasha on September 07, 2011 at 05:24:06:

Ok, I bought my first rental and thinking about best way to rent it out without being involved personally in rent collection. I heard there is a possibility to do so through automatic rent collection (http://www.nail-usa.com/electronic_rent_collection.html). If there is anyone here familiar with this option would you please advise what are pros and cons in this scenario? My rental is in troubled area and I barely imagine how someone living there would make stable payments electronically just in mere fear to be reported to credit bureau for delinquency or late payment.

Thank you in advance,

Lubasha

Section 8 direct deposits into my bank acct n/t - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on September 07, 2011 at 11:05:31:

n/t

Re: Automatic rent collection - Posted by brandon

Posted by brandon on September 07, 2011 at 07:08:31:

I prefer my tenants just mail me checks…you could always set up an account with a bank near the property and supply the tenants with deposit slips. I would never pay for a service like your talking about. It still relies on the tenant actually making the payment.

Re: I saw properties after section 8 - Posted by Lubasha

Posted by Lubasha on September 07, 2011 at 20:12:07:

and I love my first rental so am afraid it to be vandalized. I thought to try to find decent tenants first but set up representable communications.

Re: Automatic rent collection - Posted by Lubasha

Posted by Lubasha on September 07, 2011 at 20:55:40:

Do they always remember to send that check? I will feel helpless if I don’t see that check and there is no one on my side.

People are people based on - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on September 08, 2011 at 07:39:34:

their character. Section 8 is a rent subsidy. I have good “people” and some not so good. But guess what I get my Money. No job loss stories or fantastic robbery stories. Straight to the bank.
DJ-nyc

Re: Automatic rent collection - Posted by brandon

Posted by brandon on September 07, 2011 at 21:54:44:

It sounds to me that what you really need is a good property management company. Ive never had anyone not pay me on my residential props…commercial is a story for another day. My properties arent in rough areas though and when I have vacancies I have the cream of the crop to choose from IMO.

I look for properties that I would be willing to live in when I buy rentals…It makes it easier to find tenants that I am happy dealing with face to face. Either get a PM or buy like I do.

Good luck

Re: People are people based on - Posted by Lubasha

Posted by Lubasha on September 08, 2011 at 08:15:25:

Thank you DJ, I am rethinking now.

Is it hard to find section 8 tenants? Then I heard the city pays only portion of rent and tenant should pay their own part, and looks like often times they don’t care.

I am trying to make house look pretty and bring updated appliances in but for section 8 does it makes sense?

Re: Automatic rent collection - Posted by Lubasha

Posted by Lubasha on September 07, 2011 at 23:45:39:

It bothers me that the property I buy for 40k in nice area will bring me the same cash flow as one that I buy for 20k but in troubled area. So I am gambling now and will see where I wake up tomorrow.

Re: People are people based on - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on September 08, 2011 at 08:47:26:

Home Depot for my rentals. My rentals for section 8 have regular working appliances. Nothing high end. Things are changing now, with so many people unemployed and the Guberment paying section 8 (every month on time) that section 8 has become more popular and with the demand for sec 8 high, sec 8 tenants want HIGH END houses. Contact your HUD office in your area and network with other Investors at your local REIA group. All the best, DJ-nyc