Average roof cost? - Posted by SteveA (FL)

Posted by ski on July 07, 2007 at 12:05:16:

Here in swfla the average cost to rip-off and replace the shingle roof with dimensional type (looks really great) is between 200 & 250 per square. Math: 200 X 18 (number of squares at 100 square feet per square) = 3600 & at 250 = 4500. This includes the permit. DO NOT hire an unlicensed person. Keep in mind that the cost for licensed persons is higher than unlicensed because the workmens comp. is about $50 - $70 per hundred of the cost.

Average roof cost? - Posted by SteveA (FL)

Posted by SteveA (FL) on July 05, 2007 at 10:49:38:

I searched the archives and didn’t find what I wanted. Anyone give me a ballpark figure on what I should expect to pay a licensed contractor to re-roof an 1800 sf single story house in central Florida? No fancy roof-pitches or anything. Just your normal, everyday, run of the mill shingled roof. Doesn’t leak. Just old.

Thanks.

Re: Average roof cost? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on July 06, 2007 at 08:17:08:

Can’t speak for FL, but I pay about $200/sq on average. And these are on mostly high pitched multi dormered 2 and 3 story victorians.

Simple 1 story ranch should be cheaper, certainly a hell of a lot easier.

Re: Average roof cost? - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on July 06, 2007 at 07:40:38:

Steve,

I had a roof done on one of my rentals a few years back on the west coast of FL (Charlotte County).

We did a regular shingle roof, (nothing fancy) and it cost us about 5k.

RichV(FL)

Re: Average roof cost? - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on July 05, 2007 at 13:48:07:

labor rates vary widely from regon to region, so its hard to compare.

but consider not tearing off the existing shingles, installing horozontal decking, and installing “utility grade metal” or “barn metal” over the top of the decking. That’s how I di it now. I get a longer useful life for 15-25% more money. looks nicer, too.

Re: Average roof cost? - Posted by BH

Posted by BH on July 05, 2007 at 13:08:40:

Cost will vary according to where you live and the scope of the actual job. However, according to this Home Repair Cost Guide:
Install conventional asphalt shingles over existing shingles $1.25 - $2.00 sq. ft.
Strip and re-shingle with conventional shingles $2-$3 sq. ft.

You might also find this site of some use. It helps to explain how to measure your roof and also points out some of the costs associated with roofing. There is also some info on “how to hire a roofer” as well as lists of roofing contractors by state (bottom of that same page).
http://www.roofcalculator.com/index.htm

Get to know what specific costs are involved with your specific roof by interviewing several local roofing contractors.

Re: Average roof cost? - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on July 05, 2007 at 11:52:30:

Old craftsman - total tear off of all cedar shake shingles, instlal plywood decking and all shingles, I got quotes between 5k and 12K in Atlanta.

If you only have tear off and replacement of shingles (no decking) then it’s a lot less, of course.

It can vary greatly.

Michaela

Re: Average roof cost? - Posted by Peter

Posted by Peter on July 05, 2007 at 11:09:27:

To tear off, replace all plywood, and reshingle my 1400 sq ft cape in Connecticut, I have estimates ranging from $7,500 to $13,000. most places are around roughly $500 per square. I’ve found varying numbers of roof squares from different roofers.