AWW GEEZ !! - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on January 23, 1999 at 24:52:29:

I had a commercial building with a flat roof. I put a rubberized roof on it with a 15 year guarantee about 5 years ago. They are wonderful, I agree! I can’t understand why anyone would screw with tar when this product is out there…by the way, I sold that building this year for a tidy profit :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion.
Laure :slight_smile:

AWW GEEZ !! - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on January 22, 1999 at 07:44:57:

OK… so we have worked out hineys off getting this rehab done for an early closing. We got the snow storm from H*ll and coundn’t even get to the house for almost a week, and lost a bunch of time. One of my helpers got Bronchitus and lost a week. FHA financing threw in a few extra things to do. And Last night, as we are “touching up” a drop of water hits me in the head !!! In the attic we go, and the flashing on the chimney is leaking like a sieve. Oh, we are having rain, and rain, and rain… the streets are flooded, and some are closed. Final FHA inspection is today at 3pm. I’ll let you know if the duct tape works in the attic !! LOL just kidding. There is a roof cement that works wet. Gonna give that a go. By the way, the roof is new.

I am finding that a lot of roofers don’t flash chimneys right. I had 6 roofs put on this year, so I bought a video
on roofing so I was educated on the process. Three of the chimneys leaked after rain, including mine ! (oh, this is 4 now) Different contractors did the jobs. I am finding they are cutting corners on the chimneys and just slapping shingles over the flashing… result, roof leaks.

Moral of the story: Get your hands dirty, and get on the roof with the contractors to make sure they aren’t being sloppy. By the way, these were all reuputable firms!

Laure :-0

Re: AWW GEEZ !! - Posted by George

Posted by George on January 23, 1999 at 24:00:06:

So, you’ve learned from your mistake and you make sure that replaceing the chimney flashing (in fact, replacing ALL flashing) is on the contract when having a new roof done right?

Re: AWW GEEZ !! - Posted by Tim (OH)

Posted by Tim (OH) on January 22, 1999 at 11:29:38:

One more thought-

In the construction business, our company (most always) has an on-site project superintendent or foreman. Now, I’m not suggesting that this is necessary (advisable, or cost effective) for the real estate investor/ rehabber, but it pays to keep a close eye on the people you have doing the work and, at least, have an idea of what they are doing, what a good job consist of and how it looks when done. This will not prevent ALL the problems that you will experience. The most signifigant part of what I do is making sure everyone else does what THEY need to do. Perhaps a handyman with a diverse and extensive knowledge of the construction process, materials and proceedures (if you don’t have it yourself) could keep an eye on the process and daily or weekly report the progress. The cost effective part of the equation could be offset by the damage that was created by the leaks you experience.

Just 2 cents from the Construction Industry.

Tim

Re: AWW GEEZ !! - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 22, 1999 at 09:17:19:

Do they give any warranty on their work? If they do I would get them out their to fix the problem. Most warranties are voided if someone else tampers with it. I had one of those “duro-last” roofs put on. It’s a flat roof that always leaked. The tar paper roof would only last about 3 years and then start leaking again. That would cost about $3500 everytime it needed to be replaced. The “duro-last” roof cost me $7700, but it comes with a 20 year warranty to never leak. The catch on the warranty is you can not cut any new holes in the roof or do any repairs to it without going through the company that sold and installed the roof. If you do, the warranty is voided.

If you ever had a need for this type of roof, call “Tomkat”. They’re in Streator, IL. and do lot of work in your area. They gave me the best price out of 5 different companies that install the same roof made from the same manufacture. They saved me between $2300-$4300 compared to the other roofing companies.