Back Porch STINKS!! Help!! - Posted by Hugh James

Posted by Jim IL on April 08, 2000 at 14:56:43:

Hugh,
There are some cheap temporary ways to reduce or eliminate that wonderful scent.
I would do the following;

1. Wash the wood floor and base boards down with bleach solution. (NEVER EVER use amonia.)
  2. Paint it with Kilz ™, oil based, maybe two coats.
  3. Hang some kind of air freshener in there, and leave the window open. If there is an eletrical outlet in the enclosed porch, try one of those air fresheners that plug into the outlet and emmit a scent of there own. (I think Glade makes them?)

Total cost, less than $25.00 (plus your time of course.)

This is cheap, and has worked for me before. It should work for you, especially since you are going to tear the porch out later anyway.

Hope it helps,
Jim IL

Back Porch STINKS!! Help!! - Posted by Hugh James

Posted by Hugh James on April 08, 2000 at 14:08:24:

Just bought a two flat. Has a second floor enclosed back porch. Previous tenants kept a dog tied up here and he used the wood floor for a toilet. We’ve had the window open for a week and the stench is still over whelming.

Eventually, we’re going to knock the existing porch down and replace it. Until then we need to get this awful odor out before we paint. Any suggestions? Bleach? Ammonia? Will KILZ primer help? Any advice would be appreciated. This is the worst we’ve ever encountered.

Re: Back Porch STINKS!! Help!! - Posted by AnnS

Posted by AnnS on April 08, 2000 at 19:07:49:

Check out mrlandlord.com for a product called OdorXit.

Re: Back Porch STINKS!! Help!! - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 08, 2000 at 15:57:57:

Hugh-

Jim is the man with the plan! I have cats and when you use ammonia it is like a pi$$ magnet for them-DO NOT USE AMMONIA! Vinegar is a good neutralizer.

One neat trick to find where the urine has been sprayed is a black light.

-Have fun, Chris