Bad local press - Posted by Peggy

Posted by Brent_IL on July 10, 2003 at 15:15:26:

That was tongue-in-cheek. As I think about it though, I?ll use over-exaggeration to the absurd to minimize people?s fears. As one example, when I?m explaining the ?Seller?s Option to Cancel? clause in the purchase contract, I tell them that five minutes after he executes my contract, someone from Wal-Mart will decide that his property is crucial to their expansion plans and will offer him five times what the house is worth. Sometimes it?s the city that?s building a new airport. He knows this isn?t going to happen, but suddenly paying my 3% + 3% cancellation charge has shifted from being viewed as a penalty for dealing with me to being perceived as a favorable option should he desire to take a better offer.

I?d probably want to add a few more denigrating adjectives to the WBH folks of radio focus.

Bad local press - Posted by Peggy

Posted by Peggy on July 10, 2003 at 13:57:15:

Well, we have been warned on our local site that a local REI station is going to do an expose on a WE BUY HOUSES company, and from what we have heard, it won’t be pretty. Have any of you faced this, and how do you handle it? There are good people and bad people in EVERY business. Why does it always have to focus on the one bad?

Bad press is great!!! - Posted by Fletcher (Houston)

Posted by Fletcher (Houston) on July 10, 2003 at 15:55:25:

If the press “out’s” these people as crooks, maybe they will be forced out of business.

Therefore, one less shady REI company in your area.

Jonathan

Re: Bad local press - Posted by Peggy

Posted by Peggy on July 10, 2003 at 15:44:11:

Sorry…Typo Local TV station, guess I have REI on the Brain!

press - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 10, 2003 at 15:38:04:

Peggy---------

Because that is what people will attend to. I suspect that as soon as the media start doing stories about people being well-treated, the audience will dwindle away. I’d suggest that you send informed, specific comment on the coverage to the station about what they did right and wrong with their broadcast.

By the way, what is a local REI station? A radio station that is devoted just to real estate investing? A TV station devoted to RE?

Good InvestingRon Starr****

Re: Bad local press - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on July 10, 2003 at 14:38:51:

Must sellers are too preoccupied with eliminating their property problems to worry about the news.

"Yes, that reprehensible We-Buy-Homes company was the essence of evil from its dastardly inception. It feels good to know that you’re safe when working with a fair, wholesome, and totally aboveboard company, like us, doesn’t it??

Re: Bad local press - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on July 10, 2003 at 14:53:25:

That sounds about as convincing as the pyramind scams that start out by saying “THIS IS NOT A SCAM”. On second thought, I am sure there are some people that are convinced by proclaminations such as “THIS IS NOT A SCAM”.