bad tentants in florida - Posted by andre mychals

Posted by SusanL–FL on February 09, 2000 at 08:49:19:

nt

bad tentants in florida - Posted by andre mychals

Posted by andre mychals on February 07, 2000 at 22:21:50:

A friend gives me a call. The problem is tentants braking the lease/opt. So here’s the owner’s situation 1)he owns property in Jacksonville (3/1) but lives in Atlanta. 2)Rents are (550) market avg. but no increase to off set purchase price 3)The deposit was only 400w/1yr option 4) Tentants have lived there now for 6 months calls and tell him they have no plans to pay for Feb. or March rents. Let’s him know that they have 60 days before eviction, from the point of filing to the police coming to remove them.
Now we all know what he should have done…right, $3,000 deposit $800-850 rents. Tentants would have had more invested.
So here’s the question? Is there any other quicker eviction process to remove dead beat tentants or clauses in the contract that can be added to expedite matters.

Re: bad tentants in florida - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on February 08, 2000 at 10:18:40:

First of all I would try to avoid eviction. I would ask the tenants what the problem is. Loss of job, sickness, etc. If it turns out they have no intention of paying I would try to work out a deal where he agrees to let them out of the agreement if they move out now! Even offer to provide the truck or some extra $. If they are not agreeable, then tell them you will have your attorney file the papers, you will get a judgement against them that will go on their credit, you will report them to the national tenant referral system, and you will have collection agencies hound them for all the back rent, attorney and court costs. If they won’t budge have him get an attorney who specializes in evictions in the same county and have him do it right away. Next time get more$ up front and screen them better. He might not be the first person they have done this to.

Re: bad tentants in florida - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 08, 2000 at 10:05:31:

The main thing with lease options is to have 2 separate documents. 1 being a lease agreement and the other being a separate option agreement. The option requires performance under the lease, but the lease should not mention the option as being granted because of the lease. Combining the documents could definitely have the potential to create an equitable interest in the title.

The lease should also state specifically what constitutes a default and follow Chapter 83 of Florida Statutes. Make sure when evicting to follow Chapter 83 to the letter.