Bandit signs - Posted by Richard

Posted by Tom (MI) on July 30, 2003 at 12:55:21:

Just look to see if there are signs in your neighborhood that are put up on Saturday and then disappear on Monday. Write down the numbers to the signs and call them. Ask them what company puts their signs out. That is how I found them.

Good Luck,

Tom

Bandit signs - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on July 29, 2003 at 22:47:30:

I searched archives for bandit signs and have read and read. I’m still not sure what they are, how they’re used, nor what they say on them. will someone explain all this in a nutshell. Thanks.

Try searching “Sleaze Ball Sign” - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on July 30, 2003 at 17:48:22:

Re: Bandit signs - Posted by Jeffery (La)

Posted by Jeffery (La) on July 29, 2003 at 23:21:05:

“bandit signs” are those small signs that you see on the corners and at the end of “T” roads and so on. The reason that they’re called bandit signs is because they’re illegal in most jurisdictions. We have an ordinace that allows sings to be posted a certain distance from the road. In the REI business they usually say something to the effect of “We buy houses call 555-1122”. In my area of Lake Charles, LA, there is a fine of $100 or so. Most of the time the constible just takes the signs down. I think he does it once a week or so. Hope that’s a small enough nutshell. [:slight_smile:

Happy sign planting
Jeffery, Lake Charles, LA

Re: Bandit signs - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 29, 2003 at 23:21:03:

Richard,

Bandit signs are the small ones you see nailed to telephone poles or on a short wooden stakes that are stuck in the ground. They come in various sizes, mine are 18" x 24". Some folks have them produced by a sign company (I do) and others make their own. Most commonly, they’re made out of Coroplast, which is corrugated plastic. In my area, you can hire a company to put them up late Friday evening or early Saturday morning and pick them up late Sunday or early Monday. By doing so, you avoid the municipal employees whose job it is to drive around town and impound the offending signs. New home builders do this frequently to advertise their subdivisions just over the weekend. Most real estate investors simply put 'em up and leave 'em up. Depending on the area they might not stay up very long, but on the other hand, they’re inexpensive. They’re called “bandit” signs because many local governments have ordinances restricting or prohibiting their use and the ones you see around town are generally in violation of those ordinances, hence the moniker.

As for what they say on them, there is an unlimited variety of possible text. Mine simply say:

I BUY HOUSES
281-398-0505
Any Area - Any Condition

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Try searching “Sleaze Ball Sign” - Posted by Brent Leach

Posted by Brent Leach on July 30, 2003 at 19:19:37:

Jack,

Keep working your hamburger job at McDonald’s. I will continue doing what brings in money.

Brent

Re: Bandit signs - Posted by Brent Leach

Posted by Brent Leach on July 30, 2003 at 15:22:59:

For every 1 of my signs that get taken down I just put 40 more up.

Brent

Re: Bandit signs - Posted by M.Osterman

Posted by M.Osterman on July 30, 2003 at 11:04:08:

Jim,
Always good to see your nameon the board. How could I find the guys who put up signs on Fridays and take down on Sun? And what is the service called.

Mike Osterman

Re: Bandit signs - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 31, 2003 at 24:16:13:

Another way to find them is to ask your sign maker. Also, ask around at your local REI club.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX