Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by Joel

Posted by raelynn mitchell on January 01, 1999 at 16:51:51:

can be obtained. File a police report regarding fraud charges. However, you will be asked if you know who that person using your number is. Knowing that it is a relative can be a touchy situation. Take the copy of the police report to credit bureaus and ask 4 a fraud watch to be put on that SSN. Take a copy of the police report and attach it to the application for a new SSN. Depending on what has occurred, the application is approved in that office or submitted to a superior for review and consideration. Upon approval, the new card with new number comes in the mail within 2 weeks. If denied, they send a letter why along with your application, instructing what further details they need to approve this.

Another reason Social Security might issue a new number is, you’ve been stalked by someone and have filed a police report or restraining order and are trying to avoid future contact with that person, especially in the case of a battered spouse or violent former boy/girlfriend. Again, all this will require copies of documentation attached to the SSN application. I have seen 2 people do exactly this in the last 3 years in Southern California, and within 7-10 business days they had a new card (with new number) arrive in the mail. The government has taken stalkings and violence more seriously in recent years, and they also take credit fraud more seriously and realize that in some drastic cases they must do drastic things. If things are still going bad regarding credit fraud on your reports, you may want to consider filing a police report alleging fraud. Submitting a copy to the credit agencies will put a fraud alert on your credit report. The Soc. Sec. Admin doesn’t like to publish this, as it also opens up possibilities for people to get new numbers and THEN go do interesting (fraudulent?) things, not to mention that there are only so many possible numbers out there, and sooner or later (just like with phone area codes) they will run out of numbers.

The old number you previously had will be linked to the new number in the Social Security records as far as earnings are concerned, to ensure proper credits for your benefits and/or work history. However, this is a drastic step, one not everyone is comfortable with doing, even when fraud and/or their personal safety is at risk.

Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by Joel

Posted by Joel on December 30, 1998 at 11:59:54:

Hi guys, I have a problem. I really want to rent out my room, and I have a possible tenant that went bankrupt last year. I did a credit check to see what he still owed on. He has a debt to income ratio of 27%. That would be cool but he is married also. I don’t have a credit report on the wife cause they say that since the wifes mother has the same name, all of the mothers bills are included it and the credit report looks bad. I am wondering if you guys would go ahead with this tenant and give them a place or not. I do believe in giving a person a second chance cause I have been there, but I need some wise advise. Thanks in Advance.

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by Johnman

Posted by Johnman on December 31, 1998 at 06:32:19:

Joel,

Are you trying to get into the business of being the “nice” guy or do you want to make money in real estate? I’m not saying you shouldn’t help this person, you shouldn’t let your emotions cloud your judgement. I made that mistake before and I did pay dearly. I’m not trying to be negative. Just trying to help you understand that it’s good to be kind and have a soft heart but weigh everything and check things out. Get the true story from everyone. You sound like a good guy but in real estate, in my experience as a landlord, you just can’t be 100% nice guy. You will loose most of the time. Just my thoughts.

Good luck.

Johnman

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by BankRobber

Posted by BankRobber on December 30, 1998 at 19:29:15:

Supply and Demand, and the condition of the property should be factors in your decision making process. If I did not have any other suitable applicants and it was not a mint condition property then I would still rent to them but I would require an extra $400 or so in addition to the regular security deposit.

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 30, 1998 at 16:48:38:

Joel,

Run don’t walk away from these potential tenants. Take it from some one who has almost 25 years of landlording experience. These people are hiding something when they lay a story like this on you.

Everybody has their own unique social security number. Do these people think you were born yesterday.

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on December 30, 1998 at 14:19:02:

The wife and mother may have the same names but they can not have the same SS#. Although its always possible that a mistake was made by the credit bureau, its unlikely all of the creditors reporting are making the same mistakes. One way to verify their story is to have them get her mother to agree to let you run a credit check on her also. If what they say is true, then the mothers report would look the same as the daughters report. They can both go down the credit bureau together and get this taken care of if this in fact is the case. But it sounds a little far fetched to me. Verify their story. If they will be dishonest about this, then they will be dishonest about everything else.

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by R. McNeely

Posted by R. McNeely on December 30, 1998 at 14:14:18:

The mother should have a different SSN. The reports should not be mixed, don’t buy this line.

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 31, 1998 at 16:01:02:

My father and I have the same name. I am Jr. he is Sr. And for many years, when I was living at home, we had the same address.

Every two years or so I pull copies of my credit report and every single time there are 3 or 4 entries on it that are my father’s. I always I have to file an objection with the credit bureaus but this only stops the problem temporarily. Luckily my father has good credit.

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on December 31, 1998 at 01:31:48:

I have been there firsthand, as my husband has ended up with his and his mother’s credit on the same report, so it CAN happen. What the person is willing to do to correct this, however, can make all the difference in the world. For instance, they can dispute these items NOT with the credit bureau, but with the creditor who placed the items on the report. Working with the credit bureau does absolutely no good if after being corrected this month, the creditor reports the same erroneous info next month. It just shows up all over again. Make the creditor produce all original sales receipts, contracts, original canceled checks (hard 2 do, as it was cashed 4 payment of bill), etc., and make them verify the SSN of the person who signed the account.

However, all of this takes time, time that you as a landlord do not necessarily have. If it is legal in your area, insist on getting both large security deposit and first AND an amount equal to the last months rent. If they can and will come up with that amount of money, they are sincere about the problem. If not, then their situation does not justify the additional risk. Higher risk should equal higher amount of $$$ up front. Explain to them exactly what you expect from them, especially how you expect to be paid on time every month. And be EXTREMELY FIRM in dealing with any late payments if you do decide to accept them.

Sometimes parents with bad credit use their childrens’ SS#. Bad, I know, but possible. And creditors and credit bureaus both respond in the same basic way (“Yeah, right. Sure. We don’t believe you…”)

For anyone facing this situation, if you can show that someone is getting approvals using your SSN and information, and you flag your credit reports with “fraud watch” alerts at the bureaus, it is possible to take your proof that someone else is getting approvals you did not request and go to Social Security office and request a new SSN. They will review your evidence, and if fraud actually exists they will issue a new number, linked to the old one for your work history but not for credit purposes (2 separate computers). But this is a drastic measure, and Social Security is not an automatic rubber stamp office. They WILL scrutinize it carefully.

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by Mayl

Posted by Mayl on December 30, 1998 at 14:39:26:

I leased/optioned my home to a bankrupt family. I received 7 bounced checks. I was drawn into their drama. I gave them free rent for work on the house. It was poorly done with all kinds of shortcuts. I got most of my money but gave them free rent to save for a deposit to get rid of them. I didn’t get hurt big time but it was a lot more effort and more drama than I wanted. I’d say second chances are nice for honest people but you may be dealing with desperate manipulators. Think before you jump. May

Re: Bankrupt Tenant - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on December 31, 1998 at 15:01:09:

As long as the creditor has the correct name and SS# of the person that opened the account and you are not that person, then the creditor will usually correct the problem and have any information being reported on your credit file deleted. BUT! IF your name and SS# show up in their system as the person being on that account, then you will find yourself beating your head against a brick wall. They WILL NOT co-operate with you regardless of what you say or offer to them in proof that this is not your account. IF the creditor has an application on file that was signed by someone then you might get somewhere. IF this creditor does not have a signed application then your stuck with the burden of proof that you did not open this account. Creditors that don’t take signed credit applications would be creditors that take applications over the phone. Some credit card companies, utility companies, etc. take credit applications over the phone that never have a signature on them from the person opening the account.

Basically, if I have your name and SS# and I call the electric company to have service turned on in your name, using your SS#, then later I quit paying for the service, the electric company disconnects the service, reports a charge off on your credit file, turns the account over to a collection agency in which they report the collection on your credit file, your going to have one heck of a time getting that corrected. Your NOT going to be able to MAKE the creditor produce anything unless you actually take them to court and PROVE your not the guilty party. I know this because I’ve been down this road in the past.

I was living in CA. when an electric company 2000 miles away reported a charge off and turned the account over to a collection agency where both were being reported on my credit file. I called the electric company to straighten THEIR mistake out. First they told me I had to deal with the collection agency since they no longer had the account. When you call the collection agency they tell you to contact the electric company if you dispute the account, that only they could correct the account if its incorrect. This was a nightmare in itself. You just keep getting the run around between the two.

Finally when I got someone from the electric company to look into this account the next nightmare begain. They punched up the account and verified they had my name with my SS# as the person that opened the account. I explain this was impossible and I lived 2000 miles away from where they say this account was for service at. They said since they show my name and SS# in their system then it has to be my account, period! I demanded they send me a copy of the credit application so we can find out who signed it. They said they don’t require a credit application to be signed. They just take the information over the phone when you apply for service. I said, wait a minute! You mean to tell me I could call you up on the phone, use someone elses name and SS# to get service turned on? And then if I don’t pay the bill, that person gets the account reported against their credit file when they knew nothing about it?? They said thats the way it works! If someone used your name and SS# then you must know who that person is, otherwise it will remain on your credit file. I couldn’t get anywhere with them regardless of what I was willing to provide as proof that I had nothing to do with that address ever!

Finally I tracked down the name of the CEO for Edision. I sent him a certified letter demanding a letter of apology and to delete this from my credit file with-in 10 days or I was going to file suit against their company. I said in the letter that I was in the process of closing on a mortgage in 15 days where they were charging me an additional 2% in interest on my loan as a result of their negilent information being reported on my credit file. If this was removed before my loan closes my interest rate would go down 2%. If they ignor this demand that I will be suing them for gross negligence and the additional 2% in interest I’m paying on my 30 year loan as a result of their mistake! I received a letter with-in the week stating they were sorry for the mix up and would delete the information from my credit file and would send a letter to the collection agency instructing them to delete any information they were reporting. This process took 3 months to get resolved.

I took a copy of the letter to my local credit bureau and they deleted it immediately from my credit file. They also kept a copy in their file in case the information ever showed up again on my file so they could delete it again if it ever showed up again.

As far as getting a new SS# goes, unless they changed things, you CAN NOT get a new SS#. I’ve tried when I lost my wallet that had my SS# card in it. You can get a new card, but you can’t ever get a new SS#. I had this problem with the electric company, inquiries on my credit file not authorized by me, and a Nordstrom credit card showed up as a new account opened by me that I never opened, applied for, or ever had a credit card for. I was also in CA at the time where they’re a lot of illegals crossing the borders using fake SS#'s to get jobs. When I went to the SS office they said I could not get a new SS# regardless of what ever happens as far as someone else using my name and SS# is concerned. They said if someone else uses my SS# to get a job with, then all the SS# deductions being taken from their pay will go into my retirement account. So thats not a big deal to them and said its a good deal for me if someone uses my SS# for that reason. I said I was more concerned about running into a future problem with the IRS. If my SS# is showing income that I never earned they may catch it later and come back to me claiming I never reported it and charge me back taxes, penalties, and interest on money that wasn’t earned income from me. They said I would have to deal with the IRS if that was to ever happen and they should be able to straighten that out since who ever was using my SS# would more than likely be using a different name.

As far as people using my name and SS# to get credit, I would have to take that matter up with the credit bureau’s and the creditors that were establishing credit to someone else under my name and SS#. I said, but this could turn into a living nightmare for the rest of my life if my name and SS# were to get out and be used by other people which it already has. They said sorry, but you can NEVER get a new SS# once a number has been assigned to you. You get one number and that number stays with you for the rest of your life. The only way a person could ever get a new number would be as result of going into a government protection program where you changed your identity.

This was about 10 years ago so maybe they changed things since, I don’t know, but back when I went through this they said there was nothing I could do to ever get a new SS# regardless of any problems I may have as a result of someone else using my identity.

2 different SSNs can show up on ONE report… - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on December 31, 1998 at 01:41:08:

if both people have the same 1st 3 letters in their first name and same 1st 3 letters in their last name, if they have an address in the same zip code.

In the situation mentioned above about my husband, his mother’s credit was GOOD. He informed them, thanks guys, but it’s not mine. Credit bureaus’ response was: If it’s good, why not keep it? And they refused to correct it.

This kind of reminds me of the movie Terminator. Sarah Connor is a common enough name to end up with 2 people living in the same city with the same name. TRW’s computers would treat this individual the same way the Terminator did; not sure which one is the one, so if both of them get it, we know we didn’t miss giving it to the right one. But in this case the “it” is a certain account being reported to them by a subscriber.