Bat problem..Help!! - Posted by Billy_OK

Posted by Shawn J. Dostie on June 29, 2002 at 15:01:14:

If you are referring to the common brown bat they are quite docile and not aggressive. They are only interested in getting away. Just don’t try to pet the little bugger!

Regards,
Shawn(OH)

Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by Billy_OK

Posted by Billy_OK on June 28, 2002 at 23:09:00:

I have had a couple tenants in my 4 unit building call me and say they have found bats in their apartments.

Are there any suggestions out there on how to get rid of the problem?

Thanks,
Billy

Re: Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on July 01, 2002 at 22:36:46:

Build bat houses outside toward the back of your yard.

Dracula lives OK - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on June 30, 2002 at 11:58:38:

All this talk of bats, and possible rabies shot for a bite; but nobody has mentioned the possibility of turning into a vampire if you get bit. I would be careful.

Re: Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by scott

Posted by scott on June 29, 2002 at 23:29:09:

Are the bats in the apt or are they in the attic area. My parents have bats that live in the attic area of their home, but leave them there for good reason. They have ZERO problems with Mescitoes(?) or other pesky bugs because the bats keep them cleared out! The bats only come out at night and don’t make any noise, so my dad said as long as they keep earning their due he’ll let them stay. I’m sure if those bats were IN the house (living area) they would be evicted.

Also, watch out for PETA! You wouldn’t want them to think you were discriminating against these bats! :slight_smile:

Scott

Bat organizations - Posted by Chris (TX)

Posted by Chris (TX) on June 29, 2002 at 23:00:49:

… exist and can advise you. I think the most well known one is Bat Conservation International… not sure of that name but it’s BCI. You can search online and find their website (sorry I have forgotten it).

Bats are not what most people think, and have been led to believe… so please try to learn about them before you get too heavy handed with the little creatures. They do mankind an amazing and invaluable service!

Just a thought… place a bathouse (that’s bat house) outside your building and they may beat a path to it’s door instead of into your building. Might make a great novelty/attention getter for you/your business if you handle it right and use it to educate people, etc.

(In case you are wondering, I have a friend who does bat rescue… seriously.)
Chris

Re: Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on June 29, 2002 at 16:31:55:

Billy,

Are you in Oklahoma?

Scott

Re: Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by Shawn J. Dostie

Posted by Shawn J. Dostie on June 29, 2002 at 06:12:29:

Most bats aren’t a huge problem… the cheapest way I know is to go in with a large fishing net and a towel. Corner the bat in one area hopefully with an open window and patiently chase the thing until it tires and comes to rest. place the net over it and then the towel lightly over the bat (it will get through the netting) and release it outside (great mosquito control) If that fails Holy Toledo! Call animal control.

Good Luck,
Shawn(OH)

Call Robin? - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on June 28, 2002 at 23:12:30:

Billy,
Just kidding with the subject line in my response, it is late…sorry.

If these people have bats inside, then they got in somehow.
So, first get them out, then prevent them from entering again.
Contact animal control to come get the bats.
After this, look the place over and see where they entered.
Block that off somehow.

Good luck,
Jim FL

Re: Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by Billy_OK

Posted by Billy_OK on June 30, 2002 at 24:16:59:

Yes, they are in the attic and finding their way into the apartments too.

Billy

Re: Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by Billy_OK

Posted by Billy_OK on June 30, 2002 at 24:11:53:

Yes

Re: Bat problem…Help!! - Posted by Icelegend22

Posted by Icelegend22 on June 29, 2002 at 12:31:15:

But be very careful when doing this, one bite and you’ll have to have a series of painful rabie shots.