Because Of The Internet, Will Too Many People Get Into The Real Estate Game? - Posted by Nick

Posted by Bill on May 15, 1999 at 20:33:40:

I was trying to say something similar. I did not understand why my dad would associate with some of his competitors. They did not have great ethical standards, and probably did him dirt more times than he would admit. However, he had a great reputation within the business community. He said competition was good. I do not need any more convincing. My longwindedness obscured my optomisim about competition. I think it is makes business more fun when you can look forward to finding ways to do your job better. Competition serves everyone well, if infrastructure is not massive, ie electric power delivery, in the early stages.

I have had a lot of sideline businesses in the past 30 years, and only once has competition given me any headaches. I had a friend that claimed to be preparing to be a missionary incorporated some of my copyrighted material from our business, including using a greeting almost verbatum from our answering machine message that used our business name in a catch pharse. I did not push the matter as I figured that if he couldn’t be original, he would fall before I did.

I am optomistic about competition. I just need to find my comfort level in the price range of the properties I want to deal in, and Katie bar the door.

I would like to say that REI people for the most part have been so nice to me that I am constantly finding it easier to believe that I will succeed.

Thanks…God bless you all…

Because Of The Internet, Will Too Many People Get Into The Real Estate Game? - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on May 14, 1999 at 19:36:56:

Hello everyone;

Because of the internet, will too many people get into
the real estte game and therefore making it more competetive

Yes! - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on May 17, 1999 at 11:22:38:

Nick,

Yes. There will be too many people in the game.

So, I’d just sit it out until this pesky, little “Internet” problem goes away.

And, while you wait, don’t give up your day job.

Bill K. (AZ)

It’s brutally competitive already… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 15, 1999 at 22:01:04:

That’s not what will determine whether you can succeed and make money. Know what will? If you do, you are already half way there.

Half of America owns Carlton Sheets. I found out recently one of my lawn guys even bought his course years ago. He never put it into practice though. So what’s stopping everyone? The same thing that’s probably stopping you. Fear. A lot of people have the information; very few have the action. As Ron LeGrand once said, he never bought a house he didn’t first make an offer on. lol.

HR

Hey! Take Nick Seriously! This is a good question? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on May 15, 1999 at 15:44:54:

Nick,

I understand your fears. I feel your pain. I have been in your shoes (well…figuratively). I know that sick feeling of despair and abject worthlessness that is so obviously churning daily in your sensitive soul. I can hear your plaintive crying-out for understanding… for someone who truly knows how you feel and what your fears are.

Well, dadburn it Nick, you’ve come to the right place. Just tell me what’s bothering you son, and ignore all these insensitive “Holier-Than-Thou’s” who have no patience with the multitudes of less than intrepid souls out there that haven’t the pelotas (pardon the Spanish lingo there) to go do something worthwhile once in a while, instead of just thinking up goofy questions.

Mewling and procrastinating are coming back, Nick…its a fact. Y2K is here, and its now! As a matter of fact, I still have a slightly used bomb shelter that I built for my family back in the 50’s when the Commies were breathing down our necks. 'Sure…now it’s Internet competition, but it’s the same scourge. Remember in 1950 when Kruschev said the U.S. would eventually topple and fall into Russia’s hands like an overripe grape…well the time has come… it’s Welsh’s Y2K, pure and simple! Oh yeah, the bomb shelter? You can have that little piece of real estate history for nothing down, nothing per-month, no bank qualifying and nothing but pure profit potential and no competition what-so-ever (of course you’ll have to dig it out yourself; there aren’t any free cigars–anymore).

What these “other” so-called Real Estate Investor-types (not to mention “gurus”) who waste so much of your (and my) time on this site, and who are so free with their own (time) don’t realize, is that this cruel, unfair and overpopulated (much too competitive) world of ours is desperately (oh so sorely) in need of more banality and inanity?not to mention insipidity (a good word?you can use it).

Keep ‘em comin’ baby… I’ll always be here for ya!

WHO WILL JOIN US!? Today?Nick! Tomorrow? the entire National Procrastinators Association! (Though they probably won’t show up on time for the ceremony).

Bill

More Questions… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on May 15, 1999 at 13:18:11:

Nick:

While we’re at it, here’s a few more questions I would like answered:

1. If a fly didn’t have wings, would it be called a walk?
  2. If you are born again, do you have 2 bellybuttons?
  3. Why did the chicken cross the road?
  4. What is another word for thesaurus?
  5. Why do they call it a TV “set”, when there is only one?
  6. Do fish get thirsty?
  7. Why do we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
  8. Can race car drivers deduct speeding tickets on their taxes?

AND FINALLY

1. Why does Nick ask these questions?

JPiper

Yes and No - Posted by Irwin

Posted by Irwin on May 15, 1999 at 07:01:47:

What do you mean “will”? They already have. But it was well on its’ way there long before the internet. The late night TV seminar gurus kicked everything off in the early 80s, and it’s been downhill ever since. I’m sure the internet and sites like this have had an impact too, but it’s hard to say. Basically, I think nearly all fields are overcrowded today, except for the one that’s needed the most, teaching. And, oh yes, good plumbers, carpenters and electricians, when you need them.

Re: Because Of The Internet, Will Too Many People Get Into The Real Estate Game? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on May 14, 1999 at 21:24:35:

Nick,

What is the deal with you? You keep asking all these broad based questions. From what it sounds like, you are part of those 95%ers who procrastinate your life away. Why don’t you get busy and start doing something? Post some questions when you have really at least TRIED. I for one am getting very bored by your mindless posts.

Re: Because Of The Internet, Will Too Many People Get Into The Real Estate Game? - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on May 14, 1999 at 20:19:33:

Nick,

How many people is “too many”? Remember, a very small percentage of the folks who “want” to invest in Real Estate, actually do. This has more to do with their “mind set” and their belief system, than anything else.

Sometimes it’s difficult for some to overcome a lifetime of believing a certain way, while others seem to take to it like a duck takes to water (like Steve Cook and Dirk, to mention only two). I guess it mostly depends on how much “hunger” and “desire” a person has.

Of the ones that DO participate in this business, most do not have access to this site, or even know about it. Being a “family member” here, carries with it some definite advantages . . . mainly education. From the best there is!

Do you think a guy who goes to the library and reads RE books is really on an equal footing with the guy (or gal) who has taken the Bronchick and Kaiser courses (just to name two)? The library guy most likely won’t know exactly what steps are necessary to complete a successful sandwich type lease option (possibly he could) and how to bring those steps about (details).

Joes course about foreclosures and which events “trigger” the “Notice of Default” publication, is priceless, and won’t be found in any library. Those methods prevent you from becoming “part of the herd” when the NODs are finally published.

I can only give my opinion to answer your question expressing the fear of too many people in this business. FEAR IS NEVER JUSTIFIED, IN ANY FORM!

Roll with the punches and have confidence that you have more knowledge (gleaned from this site) than 90% of the investors out there. This really is a “no brainer”.

Good luck,

Brad

I’ve been the president of the NPA for many years now and I don’t know what… - Posted by FJW

Posted by FJW on May 16, 1999 at 11:30:07:

you’re talking about. After the split vote I never got my round to-it, so I haven’t decided when to have the meeting. I’m still looking for guest speakers as well. I think I have the list in my garage…somewhere, but then again maybe it’s in the…uh… Anyway, would you like to be considered?

FJW

Re: More Questions… - Posted by hkCA

Posted by hkCA on May 16, 1999 at 15:44:17:

And a few more from the renown philosopher, Steven Wright:

If you melt dry ice, can you swim without getting wet?

If your foot falls asleep during the day, does that mean it’ll be up all night?

You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

hkCA

the list goes on… - Posted by Dennis Rush

Posted by Dennis Rush on May 15, 1999 at 19:53:00:

…why does Hawaii have an Interstate?

Why does a house burn up when it is burning down?

Dennis

A couple more - Posted by The Baze

Posted by The Baze on May 15, 1999 at 19:48:01:

Why do they call it a bust when it stops before the part it’s named for?

Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Thesaurus = “Dinosaur with a great vocabulary” nt;) - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on May 15, 1999 at 17:40:52:

Re: More Questions… - Posted by Jeff (Dallas, TX)

Posted by Jeff (Dallas, TX) on May 15, 1999 at 15:59:27:

Thanks for the laughs, Jim. Here are a few more questions worthy of our contemplation

Do pediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?

If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

If you ate pasta and antipasta, would you still be hungry?

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Re: More Questions… - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on May 15, 1999 at 14:26:12:

Hi Jim,

I can hardly type this. I’m laughing so hard.

And lastly Jim,

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Or what would happen to the woodchuck if the woodchuck had wings.

LOL LOL LOL

you forgot the most important question of all time… - Posted by Dennis Rush

Posted by Dennis Rush on May 15, 1999 at 14:12:54:

What is the meaning of life?

Dennis

Too Many people?!? - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on May 15, 1999 at 12:39:06:

I agree with Irwin, in that there are a lot of investors out there. However like any business I that more people will just help us “streamline” our game. We focus on real good deals, as opposed to just good deals. We will have to know our @%#$, to of course stay ahead of the other guys/gals. Thus I like the idea of learning and becoming familiar with other areas of RE Investing, as well as knowing our respective “specialties” inside and out.
And like anything one has to have the “inside” scoop on things. Information and the execution of that information will help you be able to position yourself. Opportunities seem to be all over the place, but the one key advantage that you can have is to be able to spot them.
In the last three threads that Nick has started it has been my opinion that Nick needs to educate himself. Nick I see your procrastinating as a good illustration of what many people will do. Sure there is the internet, which is filled with more information than anyone can possibly use, (if you look for it), but I think a lot of people are like you, in that they do little with it.
Theory is great, but you have to apply it.
Dirk

And the questions keep coming… - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 15, 1999 at 11:41:06:

I feel sorry for the guy who tried to help Nick by phone. It obviously didn’t work too well. Like you said, the “what if this or that?” type questions just keep coming…

Re: Because Of The Internet, Will Too Many People Get Into - Posted by Scared 2 Sh**

Posted by Scared 2 Sh** on May 16, 1999 at 01:25:09:

JUST DO IT!

buncha wimps…sheesh.
Life is a daring adventure or NOTHING.

There are 2 types of people in this world, those who ACT, and those who REACT.

(now that I’m finished blowing some steam, I’ll give Nick a noogie, hehe)