Become Realtor to Make Money and Buy Property? - Posted by Stacy

Posted by Alex F. (CA) on June 30, 2003 at 17:53:52:

Once you get your Sales Agent license you will have to hang your license with a broker. You can work out a deal with your broker if all you want is MLS access.

Good luck,

Alex F. (CA)

Posted by Stacy on June 29, 2003 at 12:59:50:

I will soon be changing jobs after serving 20 years in the military. I’m considering becoming an agent both to earn a living and take advantage of any good deals I come across.

My wife and I have been investing in real estate since 94’ so I do have the benefit of some experience.

Any other Realtors out there doing the same? What kind of income should I reasonably expect as a new agent? I will be relocating to Fairbanks, Alaska. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

v/r
Stacy

Posted by Stacy on June 30, 2003 at 08:48:25:

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Become an investor - Posted by Alex F. (CA)

Posted by Alex F. (CA) on June 29, 2003 at 23:02:25:

Stacy,

I’m both an agent and investor. I was an investor first, then a licensed agent (just got my license a month ago). Being a licensed agent has helped with resources, to sell my own properties as an agent, and gain access to MLS, other than that, I can care less for using my license.

I drove around a family (referred through a family friend) last week all over town because they wanted to buy a house. I only helped them as a favor and boy did I hate it…My time is worth so much more than trying to sell people on purchasing a home. I know I can make a lot more money doing my own real estate investing. I really do believe they’re two different breeds. It all depends on your strategy & your pesonality…

Good luck,

Alex F. (CA)

Re: Become Realtor to Make Money - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on June 29, 2003 at 21:25:10:

The last time that I checked, about a year ago, the average RE agent in greater Chicagoland made around $36,000 a year. I have no idea how that correlates to Alaska.

Part of the income equation is the average selling price of the property that you’ll be selling.

Another major influence is the ongoing cost of the pathway that you took to become a salesperson. Your obligations to a broker may supercede your investment goals and relegate them to a secondary position. Just something to think about.

Re: Become Realtoey and Buy Property? - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on June 29, 2003 at 20:24:58:

This question pops up every couple of weeks.

Short answer: investing and selling seem to take completely different personality types. I only know of one or 2 people who ever did both with any success.

But the real estate license course contains a lot of valuable information for the beginning investor.

If you do an archive search I am sure you will find more opinions and ideas.

Re: Become an investor - Posted by jorge

Posted by jorge on June 30, 2003 at 10:32:23:

How does that work when you get your license? Do you have to work for a broker to get the MLS. Or as soon as you get your license do you you just have to pay some fees to have access.

I am going to take the courses to get my licence this fall just for the education and the MLS.

Thanks,

Jorge