Becoming "associate" agent - Posted by Mike Daly (GA)

Posted by Ron on April 20, 2002 at 17:00:49:

I live in Illinois. The local association of Realtors will allow an “affiliate” membership for investors for an annual fee. This type of membership does not require a license. Once that’s done you can subscribe to the MLS for the subscription costs paying quarterly, semi-annually or annually.

Becoming “associate” agent - Posted by Mike Daly (GA)

Posted by Mike Daly (GA) on April 20, 2002 at 13:38:00:

Saw a post the other day where someone suggested becoming an associate in order to get MLS access – that it’s much less hassle than becoming a licensed agent. I haven’t heard of this before, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.

Re: Becoming “associate” agent - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on April 20, 2002 at 21:14:25:

I am sorry that I mis-spoke. I meant an affiliate member as several pointed out. The MLS rules allowing this vary fromone state to another. Sorry about that, but you should check with your area MLS.

Re: Becoming “associate” agent - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on April 20, 2002 at 19:26:42:

As Nate says; it will depend locally per the MLS rules. Here, an appraiser can be an affiliate, but the fees were a lot higher than mine as an agent. I think I remember asking an appraiser and he said they were a little over a hundred a month, where I pay about $40 per month.

Our MLS also allows un-licensed assistants to get access to the MLS, but the fee is set also by the board similar to the appraisers having a different fee schedule than agents do. However I do believe there was a bulletin lately where the MLS is going to change it to an assistant must now be licensed.

Re: Becoming “associate” agent - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on April 20, 2002 at 14:33:21:

depends on your local MLS’ policies. Here in DC there is no such thing as an “associate” member. If you can convince an agent to let you become their “unlicensed personal assistant” you can get access, but that’s the only way for someone without a license to do so.

Other areas may be different.
NT