Beginner needs advice... - Posted by John

Posted by HR on April 12, 1999 at 19:50:18:

Mike,

Thanks for the honesty. I personally have no problem with someone selling anything – as long as they are up front about it. I am sure that you too have experienced the advice giving at other websites that is actually a guise for self-promotion. While that may be fine there, it is not part of our culture here.

I missed those other posts of yours. I appreciate the update. Good luck with your project.

Respectfully,

HR

Beginner needs advice… - Posted by John

Posted by John on April 12, 1999 at 24:04:04:

Let me take a minute to explain to you where I am coming from (I am sorry this is so long but please bear with me)…

I am 26 years old, self employed, and have been working 80+ hour weeks for the last 4 years to build my photography business. I started out having a job I loved to do and was, if I may say so myself, very good at.

After 4 years I am tired. I am tired and I am burned out. I continue to work 12-15 hour days 6 to 7 days a week but my heart is just not in it anymore. I am looking for something new.

I have always had an interest in real estate investing but have had no idea how to go about getting started. As hard as I work I still do not have enough money to start investing through conventional means.

I am not looking for a handout and I will not waste anyone’s time. What I want is some real advicefrom people that have had success with investing. IS the CS Program worth me taking time away from my business to study? From what I have heard from the few people that responded to my original post the answer would be no. If CS is not the place to start then what is?

There are so many options available. Which ones are the best (not easiest…BEST)? I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give me.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

By the way…I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area if that makes any difference.

John P Russell
highlnderz@aol.com

Re: Beginner needs advice… - Posted by d.newton

Posted by d.newton on April 12, 1999 at 18:54:22:

I feel for you. I too am a self employed 27yr old. I know exactly how you feel, i have been in business for 8 years now and i am burned out. I started studying real estate investing about 6 months ago by purchasing CS course. I feel his course is very basic but i dont regret buying his course, i read all the information i can get my hands on, after finding this site and reading and asking questions on this site i feel i have gained alot of valuble information. These people on this site are great! Best of luck!!!

Re: Beginner needs advice… - Posted by John(NH)

Posted by John(NH) on April 12, 1999 at 11:56:45:

I second Brandi_TX’s recommendation on “The E-Myth Revisited” by Micheal Gerber. I recently read this and it really opened my eyes!

-john

Re: Beginner needs advice… - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on April 12, 1999 at 10:34:33:

Hi John,

My understanding from last night’s chat was that you all ready have the CS course, and were wondering if you should take the time to review it considering your busy schedule. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I think if you all ready have it in hand, you should read it. Also, as many have suggested here before, and as I may have said last night - Please read ALL the How-To Articles and Money-Making Ideas. As you are reading them, you will see some areas that interest you more than others. You will also get a sense of what areas will fit your needs as far as income and satisfaction goes. Then you can study up on that particular area of RE Investing.

Good luck John, and BTW, give some thought to attending that Hard $ meeting in Dallas (Garland actually)that I was telling you about last night. And also consider reading “The E-Myth Revisited” by Micheal Gerber - the author seems to know your predicament (sp?) with your photography business. Great book.

Brandi_TX

Re: Beginner needs advice… - Posted by Mike Oldfield

Posted by Mike Oldfield on April 12, 1999 at 02:16:20:

WATCH IT! Burn out is sneeking up on you. I have been there. Take steps now before it’s too late. I am still coming back from burnout (almost totally recovered) E-mail me off this site (abiding by JP’s editorial policy at U2oldfield@aol.com for details

Now to answer your question.

Don’t buy a course just yet!

Why should you listen.

I started investing at 23 (now 31) I have accumulated 125 rental units, 3 motels, 2 trailer parls and a construction campany all from an original $1400 out of pocket investment for a duplex.

In the business or real estate section of the larger book stores you will almost always find several books on no money down real estate investing, creative real estate finance and so on. This is what you are looking for. Read a few of them two or three times so the methods sink in good. Scrape together $1500 Cash. Then write me back and I will tell you step-by-step exactly what to do. I have gotten several friends started by loaning them several of my creative finance books, and then tutoring them in the field. I love to teach/help others as much as I love real estate. I would not recommend any one particular author because they all have something to offer. I don’t agree with everything they write but we can discuss that at a later time.

One more thing. If you are truly willing to spend some time (few weeks) educating yourself (reading) and you have $1500 cash to work with, and you are willing to at least try what I suggest, I will help you buy your first investment step-by-simple-step. Write me at U2oldfield@aol.com

Sincerely,

Mike Oldfield

P.S. Good Luck and don’t forget! Don’t give any more weekends to your customers. Give them to yourself. Take it from a guy who knows. You must take time out for yourself. Otherwise, it’s not your life. You will give it all away to your customers. Real Estate is a good cure.

Curious… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on April 12, 1999 at 08:59:03:

Mike,

I appreciate your recent posts and helpful ideas. I may be mistaken, but you have only been posting here for a short while, correct?

I’m curious… are you giving this advice away to newbies for free, or do you charge a fee? I am not interested, but I’m wondering if you are soliciting for anything. We have had some folks make generous posts here in the past, only to find out it was a marketing ploy for some of their wares. Do you have any wares to sell? Or is this only gratis, like everyone else?

No disrespect intended, but let’s cut to the chase.

Respectfully,

HR

Re: Curious… - Posted by Mike Oldfield

Posted by Mike Oldfield on April 12, 1999 at 09:24:57:

Fair questions.

Yes only posting for a short while. And no, no hidden agenda. I will be using the experiences with newbies as research for a book project which I have gladly and voluntarily disclosed in other posts. I will be limiting my assistance to serious newbies and moderately experienced investors. I have outlined the conditions for my help in other posts also. Conditions are meant to weed out the helpless do it for me crowd.

I appreciate your concern. I too am suspicious by nature.

Good luck with your investments and write me anytime,

Mike Oldfield