Believe it or not, I'm asking for Help! - Posted by Innovator

Posted by John Corey on April 29, 2006 at 18:22:23:

Innovator,

I do think you are letting your biases get in the way. David’s logic for why females living alone in an apartment makes a lot of sense given what my wife tells. me.

For any direct response advertising the only want to tell what the right mix will be is to test, test, test. You need to set up a control to benchmark against and then monitor the results. It could be the present list is perfect.

As you have been investing for a long while and understand that spending a little money helps to find better deals set a budget and then see how many tests you can run with that budget. Try to understand if the test size and the duration is sufficient to then measure the results. If not adjust something so you can test long enough to draw real conclusions based on the responses and the quality (converted into buyers, etc).

John Corey

Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by Innovator

Posted by Innovator on April 27, 2006 at 03:39:30:

I would like to buy a list on mailing labels of non-owner occupied single family homes (not with apartment dwellers)in my area. Do any of you have a good list company source that can provide that specific of a list? Thanks!

Re: It is fairly amusing. - Posted by Jim V

Posted by Jim V on April 28, 2006 at 02:18:03:

You post about how exactly you should take title, using this or that approach, but you don’t know how to get mailing labels?

I’m not real big on blanket mailings, I’ve done them, and of course I’d verify that labels provided suited the target market, but they just didn’t provide what I wanted. So, you are an “Innovator”, but you’re looking for a list company?

Innovators don’t buy lists, they develop them. That’s not slamming your concept, just saying you probably have some work to do.

Re: Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by Clint

Posted by Clint on April 27, 2006 at 06:03:55:

Try Data Quick, I believe you can get a list from them specifically for what you want, and with specific demographics. www.dataquick.com (I have never used them but they do have great data sets)

Re: Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on April 27, 2006 at 05:20:18:

This list can be generated directly from many county websites today, due to automation. Those that are still in the dark ages are the exception. Try contacting the Treasurer / Auditors offcs, and ask a few questions.

Also contact several security alarm companies, as they seem to have these lists of clients figured out with their marketing. You may need to find a cooperative and chatty admin person to share some of their insights.

JT-IN

Re: Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by Joe Kaiser

Posted by Joe Kaiser on April 27, 2006 at 03:58:49:

On the west coast, customer service driven title companies often provide
this sort of thing, free (on peel and stick labels).

I’d start there.

Joe

Re: Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by Innovator

Posted by Innovator on April 27, 2006 at 04:06:02:

Joe, Thanks for your advice, but I have already used the title company labels. The problem with those lists are they are mostly female names and most are apartment dwellers. I’m trying to focus in on single family renters who are tired of renting and want to be home owners. Thanks for your quick reply.

Re: Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by M. Osterman

Posted by M. Osterman on April 27, 2006 at 08:53:45:

The lists I get from title companies are ok. You could just set your criteria and ask for site address instead of mailing address.

Re: Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by David (Los Angeles)

Posted by David (Los Angeles) on April 27, 2006 at 08:36:30:

If your title company can’t filter its lists to return only SFRs, you need to find another title company. I suspect, however, that you just need to be clearer when you request the lists.

And what’s your problem with “mostly female names”?

Posted by Innovator on April 28, 2006 at 07:30:50:

I have no problem with “mostly female names” it’s just that when they make up 85% of the list of non-owner single family names it makes me suspect of the list. Maybe I’m wrong, but do you think there are that many females renting single family homes?

Re: Believe it or not, I’m asking for Help! - Posted by David (Los Angeles)

Posted by David (Los Angeles) on April 28, 2006 at 18:00:11:

You said they were mostly apartment dwellers, and it’s been my experience that single females prefer the security of an apartment building rather than living alone (or with children) in a SFR. Since you don’t want apartment dwellers anyway, maybe just filtering for SFRs would bring the male/female ratio into line as well.

Posted by Innovator on April 28, 2006 at 23:05:13:

David (Los Angeles,

Thanks for your imput. Maybe I should rethink the apartment and female thing? I was talking with a Realtor this afternoon and he told me I was “nuts” to exclude apartment dwellers. He said some of his best leads for buyers come from his post card mailings to apartments.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I got some great recommendations and ideas. I only got one critisim and smart a$$ responce with no help. To the rest of you THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!