Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by Liz

Posted by Chris - Fl on September 22, 2003 at 23:30:02:

NT

Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by Liz

Posted by Liz on September 22, 2003 at 06:30:02:

After years of paying thru the nose to replace soiled and ripped and stained carpet in my units, I am seriously considering putting down vinyl throughout the entire units. I have a hard time doing this, thinking it will be unsightly, and the unit may not rent as well. Does anyone have any creative solutions for a long-lasting floor that resists “trashing”? Thanks!

Re: Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by Brenda Whittaker

Posted by Brenda Whittaker on September 26, 2003 at 24:45:14:

I agree with the low cost carpet thing - maybe it would help to charge more security, (within what’s legal, 1 & 1/2 rent in my state), and don’t let in animals. Select your tenants carefully. If they’re car is trashed when they come to apply, consider what the apartment will be treated like. Better tenants will sometimes stay longer, and you won’t have to replace so often - I had a six plex for seven years, and I only had to replace one carpet, and that was because they had a cat before I owned the place.

TITANIUM! ntxt - Posted by NCPaul

Posted by NCPaul on September 23, 2003 at 20:35:22:

ntxt

An old timer told me… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on September 22, 2003 at 19:09:51:

that if you are selling the house put in new wall to wall carpet, plush but lower, builder grade.

AND that if you are renting a house use hardwood floors for their durability.

In many cases where there is hardwood floors under wall to wall, we have removed the carpet cleaned the floors and rented the place quickly. In some cases we have do partial refinishing, where needed of the hardwood floors.

Where there is no hardwood floors, we have occasionally added pre-finished wood floors to some high traffic and wear areas including halls and dining rooms. We put vinyl in foyers instead of carpet because of the traffic.

Professional carpet cleaners do a really good job and are cheap. Had a 3 bedroom house done last week for $60+ tax

David Krulac
Central Pennsylvania

Re: Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on September 22, 2003 at 16:19:05:

Try VCT (vinyl composite tile) from Home Depot. This is the stuff you see in Wal-Mart, Target, big grocery stores, etc. It comes in 12" x 12" squares. A case (covers 45 sq. ft.) is $26.55 a case at Home Depot. I use model #51830, made by Armstrong. This is not for higher end rentals though, but does work well for lower end rentals.

Vic

Re: Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by Marcos

Posted by Marcos on September 22, 2003 at 13:03:02:

You’d be surprised what will come out of carpet. I use a company here in town, that has a tank on the back of their truck. What they do is pressurize the water, because when you put water under pressure, the boiling point rises. So, the water is 400+ Degrees, and still not boiling. Anyway, I have seen carpet that you would swear is dead be revived. See if you have something similar in your town.

I find that carpet just isn’t that expensive. About $7/yd installed. That means I can typically recarpet a house for under $1k. As long as you’re keeping your tenants in place for a few years it shouldn’t be that much of a problem. Of course the tenants who ruin the carpet within a month and then move out are lots of fun.

Marcos

Ceramic or Vinyl Tile through out?. No - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on September 22, 2003 at 12:27:32:

I have some comments on ceramic tile through out a property. First and most obvious is the cost, (commercial grade carpeting is a much better value). Second it?s cold, if the property is located in an area where cold temps are experienced half of the year your tenants will complain. Third it?s a veritable ?Dirt Magnet? and must be swept not vacuumed every day. Every bit of dirt, dust everything tracked in from outside shows. Ceramic is very unforgiving, if your not an impeccable house keeper you will hate it. Area rugs and throw rugs are just a major collecting point for dirt?

Vinyl is just too delicate. As previously stated a tenant can ruin it the first day dragging the fridge or washer even the heavy couch or entrainment center around the living room. Go with commercial grade carpeting any day.

Re: Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on September 22, 2003 at 08:45:46:

I’m slowly converting all me rentals into ceramic tile. It costs a bit more, but the savings in the long-run are worth it.

Vinyl flooring can get destroyed quickly too. Just have a tenant drag a piece of furniture over it and cause it to tear. Or have a toilet overflow and the water get underneath the vinyl and discolor it or make it curl up.

Re: Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by Paul-FL

Posted by Paul-FL on September 22, 2003 at 06:54:47:

I have seen this asked before in other forums. The best answer I have seen given was to use commercial grade carpeting. Granted it is not the lushest carpeting around but it does seem to withstand more then normal residential carpet.

Other considerations could be ceramic tile and many of the wood laminates on the market.

Re: Ceramic or Vinyl Tile through out?. Depends - Posted by Carl (FL)

Posted by Carl (FL) on September 23, 2003 at 08:35:34:

Where do you think all that dirt and dust goes if the floors are carpeted? It just gets lost in the carpet, contributing to the wear and tear.

You are correct in that tile is not well suited in cold climates. Here in Florida, it is about the only thing that withstands the constant abuse from being wet and sandy. My tile jobs run $3.00 per square foot, installed, and they do a good job.

Carl

Re: Ceramic or Vinyl Tile through out?. No - Posted by Meghan

Posted by Meghan on September 22, 2003 at 12:39:23:

WE have Vinyl throughout our home, IT STINKS, it is terribly dirty, ugly, the dirt sticks to it, gets ground in and is nearly impossible to get up. I cannot see how this could possibly be more affordable since it would likely make renters disinterested. Definately i would recommend going another way.

Re: Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by kathi

Posted by kathi on September 22, 2003 at 12:25:38:

I prefer hardwood floors in LR, DR, and BRs and Ceramic tile in kitchens and baths. But I live in OH where it is COLD in the winter. If my properties were in FL i would probably go with ceramic tile. What is under your carpeting. Many wooden floors can be sanded and refinished with excellent results.Let the archetecture of the building be your guide. For instance, tile may be more appropriate in spanish archeticture, wood in colonial.

What type of tile? - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on September 22, 2003 at 11:47:09:

Rob,
I have never seen ceramic tile outside of kitchens and bathrooms. I have a hard time picturing this type of tile throughout the house. Is there a different type of tile for these other rooms?

Also, I would think ceramic would be rather uncomfortible to walk on throughout the house. Do the tenants use area rugs?

Thanks,
Randy

Re: Best flooring for rentals? - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on September 22, 2003 at 10:02:42:

Rob,

I have been doing the same thing the past few years.

I just got sick of ripping up carpet everytime a tenant moves.

Also, tile seems to go well here in Florida. Tenants seem to like it and it cleans up easy after they move out.

Regards,

RichV(FL)

Re: Ceramic or Vinyl Tile through out?. Depends - Posted by Kathi

Posted by Kathi on September 23, 2003 at 11:47:28:

Depends on the type of ceramic tile that is used. For instance, I have one flore set with 13 inch white tiles. They show the dirt. However, the trick is to choose tiles that have pattern. There are some that resemble stone of slates. Pick one with pattern and texture in a color compatible with the local soil to prevent the dirt from showing as much. BTW, tile CAN be vacuumed with a brush attatchment. A properly installed tile job should last a lifetime. If you are handy it is an eazy do it yourself project. Be sure to use the recommended underlayment. I use cement backer board. Many designer looks are possible with very little effort. In the FL market it should be a plus.

Re: What type of tile? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on September 22, 2003 at 15:20:52:

In Florida, tile is common. Especially in high end homes. Many of the high end homes I see don’t have carpet anywhere. I’ve seen hundreds of houses with all tile. Many times area rugs do get placed under large pieces of furniture.