best insc. co.for vacant house during rehab? - Posted by Jerry

Posted by Lisa on August 27, 2003 at 10:41:10:

Jerry,

What kind of policy did your insurance agent write for you on the house? That will depend on if you can get a better deal. (By the way, I think you can get a better deal…) Beware of this - - having the wrong policy can really get you.

A friend of mine is building a brand new house. Her husband and her are doing it themselves. They went to there insurance agent of 10 years and told him that they needed a new construction policy while they are building. They asked him several times if everything was covered, and he said it was. Anyway,someone broke into the house (which was locked) and stole $7,000 worth of tools. To make a very long story short, the insurance agent wrote the policy as a homeowners policy and the claim was denied (the house was not occupied was the reason). The bad thing was is that my friend never got a copy of her policy until after the claim was presented. The company said they had been backed up and not able to get the policy to her (she had purchased the policy 6 months previously, by the way). So, she could have not known that the insurance agent screwed up.

I wanted to share that with everyone so that you all can keep an eye on your insurance policys. I know most agents are great and do a good job, but all it takes is one mistake and you have a problem.

Lisa

best insc. co.for vacant house during rehab? - Posted by Jerry

Posted by Jerry on August 26, 2003 at 21:12:27:

My insurance co. is charging me $250 every 3 months to insure a rehab house that im fixing up.I only have it insured for $25000.
Anyone know of a better insurance company to work with on these kind of deals? hopfully cheaper.
Thanks,
Jerry