Best organizational setup for realestate holdings - Posted by Mark Oostmeyer

Posted by Rolfe Kurtyka on January 16, 2001 at 22:49:19:

Mark;

I’ve wondered about the same question. At the upper left-hand corner of this site, several resources are listed. Bill Bronchick offers books and tapes (about $160 each) regarding LLC’s, Sub S & Sub C Corps, etc. I have not personally used any of these materials, but the subjects seem targeted at out specific and shared questions. I do plan to order the LLC course in the very near future. Seems to me to be an inexpensive way to dertermine if a particular structure is right for me.
Good Luck! Rolfe

Best organizational setup for realestate holdings - Posted by Mark Oostmeyer

Posted by Mark Oostmeyer on January 16, 2001 at 13:57:28:

I am a small investor with a handful of properties. I have maintained my properties for tax/liability purposes as a partnership with another individual that I invest with. We are thinking about purchasing a multi-use property (commercial and residetial) and have started to re-evauate our organizational structure. What is the recommended structure for us as property owners? LLC, Sub Chapter S, or corportation, or partnership? I’m sure different strucutes are more preferrable under different situations, however I am most interested in limiting liability but still allowing for tax purposes a free flow through to my 1040 filing (sub S and LLC seem to be a good fit so far). I would also like to get opinions as to the best way to proceed in establishing the recommended structue (e.g. is it something that I can set up my self or will I need outside counsel).