Best postage for post cards? - Posted by shannon

Posted by eric-fl on July 21, 2003 at 09:51:18:

It will be hard to make a specific recommendation without knowing what those specific needs are. Speaking in a general sense, I’ve seen Roop speak recently, and seem to remember his recommending sending post cards first class anyway. It may not be the cheapest or most efficient, but it is the most effective. Scott Britton (also recently) talked a little bit about this, and how a lot of third-class mail doesn’t get delivered at all. The per-hit rate on first class may actually be cheaper in the long run. Also, a common recommendation is to “salt” your lists, by including yourself or friends on the lists.

Best postage for post cards? - Posted by shannon

Posted by shannon on July 21, 2003 at 09:06:56:

I want to know the cheapest and most effecient way to send out post cards via mail. I have read Richard Roops methods and a few other, but none are specific to my needs.
Thanks

Re: Best postage for post cards? - Posted by Chip (Tx)

Posted by Chip (Tx) on July 21, 2003 at 18:47:34:

USPS offers postcard mailings cheap. I do a 2 color (black ink with red graphics) postcard for a total of 23 cents per card. I don’t print 'em, or even touch 'em! You CANNOT beat that deal! Design your own cards, submit your list, pay, and you’re done. Happy investing!

http://www.usps.com/netpost/postcard.htm

Chip in Dallas

Re: Best postage for post cards? - Posted by Stewart

Posted by Stewart on July 21, 2003 at 17:36:40:

What you decide really depends on what you want to mail. If you are going to send postcards first class (at postcard rates) you will be limited to 4.25" x 6", which may be just fine. You need at least 500 pieces to get a discounted rate (around 18 cents). If you want to go bigger, you are bettter off using Presort Standard (bulk) because then you can go to 6.125" x 11.5" and still pay pretty close to the same rate as a smaller card (around 16 cents for in town mailer, 19 cents for out of town mailer). Also, if you are using your own list (versus one purchased from a list company) you are required to have used some type of “cleaning” process. Most will use NCOA processing through a list company or broker.

If you use bulk (200 minimum) then you can add the line “Or Current Resident” just under the name. Although not as personal, this will ensure all pieces get delivered. I would think for this type of mailer you may not care. In my area (St. Louis) many pieces get delivered the next day, but some will take 3 - 5 days.

Besides your postage you should’t have to pay any more than 5 cents per piece for processing. Make sure you ask for a copy of the mailing statment stamped from the post office from whatever mailer you use. Ideally, get a printed 3602 receipt that the bulk mail unit prints out themselves - here they do it on continuous forms so you know it is theirs. This will verify quantity, postage and date of mailing.