Best way to determine if vacant lot owner is dead or alive(?) - Posted by JD

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 12, 2000 at 09:16:54:

There are a number of geneology sites that connect to the social security data base. People than died are likely in there as they recieved SS benefits.

Best way to determine if vacant lot owner is dead or alive(?) - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on March 11, 2000 at 21:34:23:

What would be the most efficient way to determine which, if any, of 100 owners of 100 different vacant lots are dead (all lots are owned free and clear, many owners are out of State)?
Determining if a person is alive is generally pretty easy. But conclusively determining that someone is dead has proven to be problematic. Just because the property taxes are not paid, does not mean the owner is dead. I have found the social security death index to be somewhat useful, but limited in scope. Is there a more comprehensive data base available? Or can someone suggest a more effiecent way to identify dead lot owners?

Re: Best way to determine if vacant lot owner is dead or alive(?) - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 13, 2000 at 06:18:00:

http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/ another site to add to your arsenal.

Ancestry.com accesses Social Security death records NT - Posted by David

Posted by David on March 13, 2000 at 06:11:11:

NT

If you Absolutely Positively must know… - Posted by BR

Posted by BR on March 12, 2000 at 10:39:55:

go to…www.vitalrec.com/
click on DEATH…click on STATE…it should tell you the location, phone # and cost of the search. You can order online or ‘walk in’ (physically) and get info. immediately…well almost. It costs a few bucks but you will know for sure.

Re: Best way to determine if vacant lot owner is dead or alive(?) - Posted by Jack Beam

Posted by Jack Beam on March 12, 2000 at 08:02:03:

Check their pulse. If they have no pulse, it is probably a good indication that they are dead.

Curious… - Posted by Jill

Posted by Jill on March 12, 2000 at 04:49:52:

Why do you want to buy vacant lots? I thought that vacant land was one of the worst investments?

Not foolproof, but a couple of resources that will help - Posted by Bob H

Posted by Bob H on March 12, 2000 at 01:17:12:

Find last known mailing address (Tax bill is a good source), call the county probate court for that address and see if an estate has been opened for the owner of the lot. If so, you can get the name of the executor of the estate.

Also, in CO, if you have access to the MLS, you can do Deed search for properties transferred by a death certiificate or Personal Representitive’s Deed. If you don’t have MLS acess, most County Assessor offices will do a custom computer run of their data for a fee, this will provide you the same information.

Another valuable resorce, if you have access, is to get a crdit report on the owner of the property - it will usually tell you if the party is deceased.

Properties where the owner died intestate (w/o a will) present a much greater challange, but potentially a greater return. Basically, you have to find an heir, have them open an estate & sell you the property, or if no heirs exist, contact and convince the public administrator (you can get the name from the Denver County Probate Court) to do the same.

Good Luck

A couple more areas to try. - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on March 11, 2000 at 22:38:57:

If you know the area the owner is in you may be able to search the obituaries. Most papers are online now and some have put much of their past data on the web.

Second, many of the cemetaries are going online too. There is a move to get a national database together. You may want to try www.ancestry.com for links.

Re: Best way to determine if vacant lot owner is dead or alive(?) - Posted by Darin

Posted by Darin on March 11, 2000 at 21:46:45:

Register of deeds and start researching one by one. Then if you think one my be dead, move over to death records. Though sometimes that will be picked up in your title search.

If you are real nice to the people who work in the court house, from my experience, they will bend over backwards to help you.

Re: Best way to determine if vacant lot owner is dead or alive(?) - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 13, 2000 at 06:19:33:

I was tempted to say the same thing,but you beat me to it;-}

Nothing is a bad investment if you buy right!!! - Posted by Darin

Posted by Darin on March 12, 2000 at 14:21:51:

Play him a John Tesh CD, if he doesn’t shoot himself, he’s dead. :wink: - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on March 14, 2000 at 14:00:17:

(couldn’t resist)

Stacy

Re: Best way to determine if vacant lot owner is dead or alive(?) - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on March 11, 2000 at 22:13:09:

Darin,
Thank you for the feedback. But, I am not sure what “death records” you are refering to. In my State(CO), and I suspect many other States, death records are not accesable to the public. BTDT. You have to either be related to the dead guy or have some other really good reason, like having a civil judgment against the dead guy. The death records people will not even look into their database to determine if the guy is in there without proof of a relationship (they have made me show them a copy of the judgment). But it would be useful for me to know which States’ death records are available to the public.

Or Cybill Shepherd :slight_smile: (nt) - Posted by Blane (MI)

Posted by Blane (MI) on March 16, 2000 at 10:13:02: