Best way to find MH's. - Posted by RiesieNC

Posted by RiesieNC on April 24, 2006 at 22:15:03:

When you say “owner contracts” are you referring to “owner financing”? Thanks for all of your responses.

Best way to find MH’s. - Posted by RiesieNC

Posted by RiesieNC on April 22, 2006 at 01:57:16:

I’m trying to figure out the best approach to help my parents. They have a 2 1/2 ac lot that currently has a single wide on it (with a slow-paying renter). I was thinking we could split the land into 2 separate lots and put cheap doublewides on them both and sell them as land/home packages. The only problem, I don’t know where to start in finding “cheap” doublewides. The land is in a perfect location. Would it be expensive to move the singlewide that’s currently there?

Re: Best way to find MH’s. - Posted by rg

Posted by rg on April 23, 2006 at 11:58:20:

Why not lease the land lots instead? Leasing property will provide permanent income and the property will remain an asset and only go up in value over time.

Sell the cheap mobiles separately on owner contracts for a greater return.

Re: Best way to find MH’s. - Posted by Larry

Posted by Larry on April 22, 2006 at 15:03:02:

Hi! This is my first post here! =)
I used any free shopping type magazine I could find locally here, like Greensheet and Thrifty Nickle and called around to a large number of business and private sellers. I looked for cheap offers of single wide mobile homes, since I was trying to get one I could afford with no note attached. One mobile home seller who moved and refurbed mobiles had some cheap deals in the 3-5k range during the winter months, when sales of homes and mobile homes are generally in decline. He had one 3 bdr 2 bath single wide with extensive remodeling from 1983 I got for $5,000. He claimed during the spring he could easily sell this one for about $15,000 with just paint, carpet and a few repairs.
Even the mobile movers generally charge less during the winter months. I paid about $2,200 to move it 60 miles away. Normally that would have been about a $2,800 or so move during a busy season.
I hope this helps!

Re: Best way to find MH’s. - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 22, 2006 at 08:50:29:

In order to determine if you can subdivide and what it will take to do so, I would suggest you begin with your Planning Commission.

As for inexpensive doublewides. The “IWANNA” newspaper and other such papers often have sellers with low priced homes that must be moved. There are also repo dealers (not to be confused with new home dealers) who may be able to help you locate a decent deal. Other, small, independent dealers will advertise in the IWANNA as well.

Moving the current singlewide will depend upon the age, the condition and the rules within that county. If it cannot be moved the I would suggest you call demolition companies. In the Asheville, NC area we are charged between $1,000 and $1,500 to demo and remove a singlewide (much of that cost is dump fees).

Tony