Bill of Sale Purpose - Posted by Nathan

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler on January 12, 2004 at 16:11:53:

Sometimes they must be notarized, sometimes witnessed and sometimes none of the above or both

Typically, and instrument affecting title to real property, that is recordable, needs to be notarized. In CA the DMV does not require notarization of car titles but AZ does. It depends on the requirements of the law, the governmental agency or non-governmental entity that you are dealing with. You should call your state’s DMV and ask them. There are an infinite number of vairations from state to state.

Typically wills need to be witnesses but not notarized. Again there may be a mulitiude of exceptions. Refer to state law on this too.

A lot of times people, entities, or documents ask for either or both but, it isn’t required by law. Its just their policy.

The only definite answer to your question is that it depends (I think).

Regards, doc

Bill of Sale Purpose - Posted by Nathan

Posted by Nathan on January 12, 2004 at 13:57:34:

What would be the purpose of the Bill of Sale?

I am in Florida and the DMV just needs the title signed over to me to purchase. I also had the seller sign a contract to purchase which describes what appliances are warranted to work.

Is there a need for the Bill of Sale in this case?

Do you mind telling us what you bought??? - Posted by EdOrtiz FL

Posted by EdOrtiz FL on January 12, 2004 at 22:23:20:

:slight_smile:

Re: Bill of Sale Purpose - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler on January 12, 2004 at 15:14:10:

A bill of sale is just basically a receipt for purchasing something. If you normally dont’ want receipts when you buy things then you might not care about a bill of sale.

Personally I think it is always a good idea to get either a receipt or a bill of sale. A title might suffice for your state’s DMV but the IRS may want actual proof of payment, and something that shows the amount paid for tax purposes. Its not so hard to steal a title or get a duplicate one but a bill of sale is a horse of a different color.

Regards, doc

Re: Do you mind telling us what you bought??? - Posted by Nathan

Posted by Nathan on January 13, 2004 at 10:27:37:

Sure,

I bought a 1980 Champion SW 2br/1.5 bath mobile for $1500. This will be my first deal, but I think with only paying $1500 I will be able to make more mistakes and still make some money.

This was the same mobile that I had posted about in this post: http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/35120.html

She thought it was an '84 but it is actually an '80. I didn’t think I could make it work at her asking price of 3K so I called her back and told her the best we could do is 1K and I didn’t even think she would be able to accept that.

Well she called back and said she would do it for 1500 and out of that she only got ~700 as it was back due $800 in lot rent.

The inside is really good for the age of the home. The owner had put in new appliances and flooring. The outside is looking its age, but really not too bad either.

Re: Bill of Sale Purpose - Posted by Nathan

Posted by Nathan on January 12, 2004 at 15:29:32:

Should this Bill of Sale be notarized, witnessed, or none of the above.

I have Ernest Tew’s forms which have a space for witnesses, but not for notary.