Blessing in disguise? - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Reif on May 12, 1999 at 12:48:37:

BTW, I’m about to pick up my first mobile home…I’ll keep you posted.<<

Remember, lift with your knees, not with your back :slight_smile:

Blessing in disguise? - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on May 07, 1999 at 14:22:50:

Well we never thought it would happen to us…

I have been reading recent posts about people on this board being fired, or quitting and the like. Not until today did I realize just how easy it is to have things fall apart when they are left in the hands of someone else.

My husband is a nurse, and a darn good one at that. So good in fact he received a substantial bonus $$ on 2 paychecks in a row. That was within the past month even.

A few days ago he was “written up” for a paper work error. Not a typical situation by any means, and the 1st of it’s kind. But as company policy goes, it was required that he be given this write up. Also as company policy goes, it is allowed for the person being written up to make a comment on the “official written warning”. My husband took his liberty and wrote something to the effect of what a crock he thought the write up was.

WELL… today he comes through the door almost 2 hours early with a strange, confused look on his face. He was suspended indefinetly. Here is the kicker… It seems as though his suspension was not for the action he was written up for, but the comments he wrote on the paper. He was told to take the rest of the day off, Sat and Sun as well. He was asked to use this time to write a letter of apology for his statements in the comment section because they were “disrepectful” to his superiors. He is to present it on Monday to see if he can come back. (Doesn’t that sound like he has to beg, in a formal way, for his job back?)

Is this where we have come? To be dismissed of our duties because of our opinions? Last month he was the best drone they had. This month he voiced his opinion and is now very dispensible. We can’t have employees that speak their minds ya know.

I would love to say that I was upset when he came home, and I think he thought I would be. But…

My only response to him was:

“Did you tell them Thank You?”

Just wanted to share the days events.

Brandi and Ramon (TX)

PS - He might be poking in the board every now and again - please extend him a big welcome.

Why to so many blessing have to be in disguise? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on May 09, 1999 at 16:45:08:

Man! I’m tired of these d… disguised blessings! Don’t they just flat screw up your whole day? Wouldn’t it be nice, once in a while, for a blessing to just drop in unannounced with a jug of wine, a hunk of cheese and a loaf of warm bread, just because you’re due for a blessing?

Bill

Been there, done that… - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on May 09, 1999 at 09:15:54:

Brandi & Ramon,

I know from experience how your situation feels. When I disagreed with an evaluation at a prior job- right on the heels of an excellent annual evaluation and raise- I was summarily canned. That’s what got me looking for ways to not rely on a job. Hang in there. BTW, I’m about to pick up my first mobile home…I’ll keep you posted.

Good luck & stick to your guns!

John Hyre

Interesting situation given our first amendment rights 2 free speech… - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on May 08, 1999 at 14:05:16:

in both written and spoken forms!

Welcome, Ramon!

Could be the best thing that happened… - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 08, 1999 at 13:13:47:

From my observations, when “unfortunate” things like this happen, it tends to work out. I think most people, when they put their mind to it, fix it.

I think it has something to do with not having to do it unless it HAS TO. Getting a steady paycheck tends to turn the brain off as Kiyosaki says. When you take away the steady paycheck, all this motivation, creativity, and intelligence comes out!

There might be a couple of bumps along the way, but I think things should turn out ok. Good luck. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Blessing in disguise? - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on May 08, 1999 at 05:17:44:

Hi Ramon! Bienvenidos! Listen here, I really agree with Renfrow’s post below. I am a critical care RN and ashamed to say that I work with so much “dead wood”, that it doesn’t take much to be the best in my unit! In fact I think sometimes I am ‘trying’ to get fired, and can’t! Haha! In fact I just got another raise and more responsibility (yuck!! I BEGGED THEM NOT TO!).

If I were in your shoes, I would not sweat the situation, but I certainly would heed the message they seem to be giving you. I like to believe everything happens for a reason. Go out this weekend with Brand X and make some offers! It’ll make you feel better!

(and Renfrow brought up a good point, can you get fired for expressing your opinion!? What if you told them you needed a copy of your employee file for your atty to review! HA!)

Don’t listen to me, I have a chip on my shoulder … LOL!!

Sandy

Re: Blessing in disguise? - Posted by B.L. Renfrow

Posted by B.L. Renfrow on May 07, 1999 at 15:11:49:

Although I’m relatively new to REI (came across this board a month ago; what I’ve learned here is invaluable) I have been in the medical field for years, working for and in many hospitals. Your husband’s situation is not atypical. Even though there’s a very severe nurse shortage in many areas of the country, many employers keep on acting like nurses are lined up at the door just begging to work for them. I’m sure he could have a position at my hospital tomorrow (as long as he’s not an axe murderer)! Or if he IS, they might still hire him if it was only one murder. Depending on his employment agreement and/or union representation, it’s possible he might have an action for unlawful dismissal if he’s terminated simply for expressing his opinion, as long as he didn’t write something threatening, profane, etc. Anyway, hope things work out for him, and thanks for all your enlightening posts here.

It’s a Wake-Up Call - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on May 07, 1999 at 14:51:37:

Brandi,

Tell Ramon that I said, “Congratulations!”

Eventually, everyone gets a lesson in how their life and future is in THEIR hands only. Company’s can easily create a false sense of security. However, as your husband discovered, one “Ooooops” eliminates a thousand “Atta Boys!”

However, you know the liberating benefits of RE investing that allow you to take control of your life and future.

So, again, congratulations! I’m sure that your husband will heed the wake-up call.

Best of luck to you.

Bill K. (AZ)