books on local laws - Posted by bstrange

Posted by David Butler on December 04, 2000 at 15:08:58:

Hello bstrange,

I have found it very helpful to use the local county law library to ascertain the various legal publications that may be of value in that regard. In doing so, you can usually find out where a local law book store is located, so that you might find suitable material that is less expensive, but still provides the gist of what you truly need… then of course, you can always expand on that - depending on how advanced you want to be.

Here in California, one of the primary publishers of materials for attorneys, is the CEB (Continuing Education of the Bar). They are the publishing house for the University of California at Berkley, and they publish year round for the legal profession.

But their stuff can be expensive, due to the nature of the material covered and the research involved. For example, their course, California Trust Deed Practice provides comprehensive material and extensive case law. It is definitive in many regards - but runs about $200, and another $100 per year for the updates.

On the other hand, you might be able to find a simple FORMS book that includes the forms, and which form to use when, for around $70.

Hope this helps, and best wishes for your success!

David P. Butler

books on local laws - Posted by bstrange

Posted by bstrange on December 04, 2000 at 10:41:45:

Do you have any suggestion on how to find books regarding local real estate laws. I know there are many different laws at the state level, and was wondering if there are any books or series of books which describe the laws by state. I live in MA and am interested in finding out more about what contracts we can and cannot use when buying/selling notes. Any informationn would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

BStrange