Boy . . . I Hope I Get Some Calls - Posted by Phil (CO)

Posted by David Alexander on February 18, 2002 at 17:26:51:

Over time it is going to leave a difference in color where the vinyl is after time…

Depending on how long it is on the car… it may be able to be buffed out… otherwise, Paint jobs aren’t that expensive these days…

I have considered myself paying folks X amount of dollars a month to have I buy Houses all over there car… We were considering approaching folks with volkswagen beetles… If they were going to have say a 350/month payment… it might be a pretty good incentive for them to get a $100 - $150 a month towards it there payment…

David Alexander

Boy . . . I Hope I Get Some Calls - Posted by Phil (CO)

Posted by Phil (CO) on February 17, 2002 at 13:46:39:

Well, I jumped in today - pretty excited I must add! But I didn’t realize how expensive classified ads are these days! It cost over $200 for 10 days in the Denver Post.

Is this normal? Are there ways to get discounts? I suppose I should just call the newspaper with that question, but what are others paying?

I had no idea!!! The ad better work!

ThrifyNickel - Posted by Jesse (CO)

Posted by Jesse (CO) on February 17, 2002 at 15:54:39:

Phil,

You can advertise in the ThriftNickel for around $100.00 for 2 months. I’m new to Denver from Boston. To be honest, I’ve never noticed this kind of publication back East (though, I’ve seen plenty of community newspapers) - not to say they’re not out there.

I’ve advertised in some small monthly newspapers(community/neighborhood newspapers) for as much as $10.00 - $20.00. The advantage of this is that it gets delivered to subscribers in your farming area. The Thrifty Nickel, in my inexpert opinion, possibly gets read more as people are out there looking for bargains. You may get a stroke of “luck” and get a call on your ad…

I haven’t tried the magnetic signs, but I do pass out my biz cards a lot more agressively as or recent.

Get the word out!

Sincerely,

Jesse (CO)

Re: Boy . . . I Hope I Get Some Calls - Posted by Paul S

Posted by Paul S on February 17, 2002 at 14:53:59:

Is the Denver Post like “The” newspaper out there? I advertise in local newspapers to save $. Community newspapers that serve a select few suburbs- every major area has several- and they are a lot less expensive. I also frequent several local establishments like a breakfast cafe, a couple of take-out places, etc- all located where I invest and do business and I pin my card up on the bulletin board, or leave cards/flyers on right on the counter. I have taken the time to develop relationships with the owners and employees so that it’s never a problem. I also sponsored a 5K race and set up a table at the event last fall- for far less than $200. Do you know who runs in 5K’s and shows up for events like that? Winners- the kind of people you can learn from as well as serve. My doctor and dentist also allow me to display business cards/brochures in their offices. I think my annual advertising budget is less than $1,200. You might get some calls, but I’d change strategies after this one. Just my opinion.

Re: Boy . . . I Hope I Get Some Calls - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on February 17, 2002 at 13:58:39:

Big city papers! In the sticks it would cost $20 or $30. The downside is you have to advertise for 10 weeks to get the response you will get in 1 week in the city LOL.

How about the Thrifty Nickle, Penny Saver etc.? They are especially good for distressed rental houses, mobiles etc. which is what you want, not so good for the high end stuff.

A very good method, seldom mentioned, is to put magnetic signs on your car. The most value for your advertising buck.

It’s too obvious, but I have had good results by telling everyone I am looking for houses. It helps if you have some nice cards to hand out.

Thrifty Nickel and WBHAs - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on February 17, 2002 at 18:23:56:

I advertise infrequently. But I do look at the ads on a semi regular basis. The problem I see with the Trifty Nickel is that there are a dozen ‘we buy houses’ ads in it. Only 3 or 4 in the regular paper.

Re: Boy . . . I Hope I Get Some Calls - Posted by Phil (CO)

Posted by Phil (CO) on February 17, 2002 at 14:56:36:

Thanks for your response. I didn’t think about those other pubs. I am already handing out bus. cards to everyone - but can’t count on word of mouth. I thought about the magnetic sign thing, but as you mentioned, not many people talk about it so I wasn’t sure how effective they are. Where can I get one?

I will be ordering my… - Posted by wayne-pa

Posted by wayne-pa on February 17, 2002 at 17:58:42:

magnetic signs, and other signs from banditsigns.com

prices are reasonable

Re: When My Own Car won’t do… - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on February 17, 2002 at 23:53:29:

I have a cush job that I’d like to keep (until I get this business off the ground.) One thing that’s frowned upon is ‘moon-lighting.’ It is for this reason that I don’t personally want to put a magnetic sign on my car - because people I work with will see it.

Instead - I’m thinking about paying other people to drive around with my advertising on their cars. I’ve even thought of using something more permanent (like paint) to make sure the driver’s don’t take it off.

I’ll report back if this strange idea ever comes to fruition…

Heidi

Re: When My Own Car won’t do… - Posted by Tom B (GA)

Posted by Tom B (GA) on February 18, 2002 at 12:14:00:

I have magnetic signs on my vehicle…and I leave them on when I go to work. Why stop advertising because of your full time job?(asked in general, not of you, Heidi.)

Had one co-worker ask if I had any L/O’s available and another ask if I would buy their house.

Because they are magnetic, it allows me take them off prior to meeting at someones house for privacy reasons.

Plus the fact that it is a one time advertising cost, not a reacurring cost, makes it the most cost effective advertising method, IMO.

And for those looking for wholesale magnetic signs, try this site. http://www.amteksigns.com/home.html

10" x 24" for $12 each. Two quotes I got here in GA for 3 of these signs was $90 and $150.

Just my ramblings,

Tom

Re: When My Own Car won’t do… - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on February 18, 2002 at 11:22:26:

I agree with you about the co-worker thing. Especially if you are having success, that will only spawn jealousy in the workplace. From the time people find out, every time you take time off, people will eye you suspiciously, and you can forget about promotion, because you don’t “need” it as much as the next guy, since you’re moonlighting in real estate! So the logic goes…

The best thing in this situation is probably to get the magnetics, and take them off before you go to work. There’s no reason you can’t put them on after you leave, though, and then there’s the weekends to think about, when you’re driving about town, doing errands.

Re: When My Own Car won’t do… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 18, 2002 at 24:58:29:

You don’t have to paint cars…

They do vinyl lettering nowadays… Looks much better…
and alot simpler to accomplish…

David Alexander

Re: When My Own Car won’t do… - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on February 18, 2002 at 24:52:46:

Magnetic signs means the signs will come off and can be put in the trunk when not in use. :slight_smile:

What is the difference between you driving around town with it on, or your friends? Is the idea you are trying not to let your co-workers know you are an investor so you don’t have repercussions?

Kind of sad if you can’t talk about what interests you at work with co-workers. Is that moon lighting only frowned upon, or is it grounds for dismissal?

Re: When My Own Car won’t do… - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on February 18, 2002 at 14:07:43:

Are vinyl letters removable with some difficulty - incase one wanted to sell the car? That would be an advantage over a permanent option.