breaking a lease; landlord new tenant? - Posted by Chris

Posted by John Merchant on August 04, 2003 at 11:05:12:

I’d guess that NYC ordinances and state laws would help you as a tenant, if laws & ordinances anywhere would! A more tenant friendly, LL hating,liberal place doesn’t exist on this earth, as I hear it.

I’m sure you can easily find NYC LL/T ordnances on internet. Find, read & learn & you’ll be an authority pretty quick.

breaking a lease; landlord new tenant? - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on August 04, 2003 at 09:51:16:

I am thinking about leaving the country for job opportunity in Europe. My lease doesn’t expire for another 7 months.
I have tried looking for someone to rent my apartment. If I have no luck, is the landlord responsible for finding a tenant. I will pay until he finds one - but does the law require him to actively search? (New York City)
Thank you.

Re: breaking a lease; landlord new tenant? - Posted by carl

Posted by carl on October 23, 2003 at 15:10:16:

If a tenant passes away,does that relieve him and or estate from paying rent for remainder of broken lease? also what if rental lease agreement was signed by tenants public guardianship?. please give me reference sources with answers to my questions.
Thank you,

Re: breaking a lease; landlord new tenant? - Posted by Long Beach Ed

Posted by Long Beach Ed on August 05, 2003 at 04:27:57:

Chris,

I’m not an attorney, but I’m familiar with this portion of the New York law. You are responsible for all the rent. However, if you leave, the landlord must attempt to re-rent the apartment. You would then be responsible for the rent due up until the time the place is re-rented.

He could sue you for seven months rent and produce documents illustrating his relentless search for new tenants. It would then be up to the judge.

Your best bet is to talk with the landlord and make a deal. Offer him two months. Most landlords would be tickled pink if you left the place in good shape and offered a fair settlement.

• Long Beach Ed