Bronx Tale/Rich Dad/Poor Dad - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 04, 2005 at 08:15:42:

what have you got against cooks, they unselfishly slave over a hot grill so others can have food. It’s an honest living, what are you some kind of elitist?

Bronx Tale/Rich Dad/Poor Dad - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 03, 2005 at 09:44:10:

I was watching Bronx Tale with Robert Deniro and Chazz Palminteri when it struck me that this was a story very much like Kiyosaki’s RDPD. A young boy growing up in the Bronx is deeply influenced by two very different father figures. His biological father is Robert Deniro, a hard working, proud but poor bus driver. The other “father” is Sonny, a local mob boss who runs an empire based on fear and intimidation, with nary an honest days work along the way. Sonny takes the boy under his wing telling him he needs “two educations”, one from school and one from the street, in order to save him from the miserable fate of the “working man”, the worst kind of sucker imaginable, in Sonny’s opinion. Great movie. Anyone else catch the similarities?

Re: Bronx Tale/Rich Dad/Poor Dad - Posted by RE King

Posted by RE King on September 06, 2005 at 23:04:20:

Are you a RD/PD lover or hater?

I’m somewhere in the middle. I think it’s a great book, but I don’t like how the stories are presented as factual when in fact Robert has used “license” to tell them.

Were you thinking this movie could have been the basis for Robert’s writing of the entire book?

Re: Bronx Tale/Rich Dad/Poor Dad - Posted by Brian (UT)

Posted by Brian (UT) on September 04, 2005 at 10:06:50:

Ben

I reread your post again after Judah’s blast and it still comes out the same, just a great similiarity.

I think Judah has unresolved issues that are better covered on the Pyschology Today website.

Brian

Re: Bronx Tale/Rich Dad/Poor Dad - Posted by Judah Hoover

Posted by Judah Hoover on September 03, 2005 at 17:22:02:

Are you trying to in an underhanded way say ?the rich are mob bosses, and corrupt murderers?. If you have that liberal and misguided of a view point on life what are you even doing on this site? The rich I know are also the most generous people I know. And watch the fingers you point because according to the IRS anyone that makes more then 50k a year is rich (you may be one of those unholy rich people). I may be reading your post wrong? and if so these words are not meant for you? but I am tired of the employers being treated as if they have to be ashamed for there hard work. The most commonly driven car by millionaires is a ford 150. The rich are the ones that give us the opportunities to feed our families. I never had a poor man sign my paycheck.

In the movie a Bronx tale, sonny?s message is the same as Robert?s, one just uses honest methods while the other doesn?t. The message if very simple and I learned it form my factory working dad. ?Get up every day go to work and do the BEST you can do, and be happy with the results? each of us has to decide what the ?best? we can do means. For my dad it meant painting houses and churches on the side to feed his 6 kids, all the wile teaching us how money works. My ?best? included starting my first company at 19, being a top producing mortgage broker for the past 4 years, and starting a REI company at 24 with $3000 of my hard earned money, and not blaming anyone for the hurdles I had to over come. Now at 26 I am married, still working full time (I love the industry), have bought and sold 11 houses this year and still think I can do ?better?. No rich man (other than Hollywood?s liberal portrayal of one) ever said ?the working man is a sap?. They just believe like I do?? if you CAN do better shouldn?t you?? if you can find a better way to provide for your family shouldn?t you? If you can own a company instead of working for one shouldn?t you? If you can give to the poor instead of being one should you? So continue watching primetime TV at night, spending your money of things you don?t need and listening to the ?Blame America First? crowd. As your debt grows my assets grow and one day you can blame me for your problems, a dyslexic B- student who didn?t have the money for collage and , but who was willing to try a little harder then the average person.

Ask yourself this question why is it that immigrants coming to this country who don?t have anything but the shirt on there back and don?t speak one word of English have FOUR TIMES the likelihood of becoming multi-millionaires as you and I do??? Because they WORK HARD, and have faith in the freedoms of this country. If America is too tough and a little unfair for you, try anyplace else in the world but I can guarantee you will have a rougher time at all aspects of life, with one noticeable exception? it will be easer to find people at the local pub to sit and chat with about how you could have made it big in life if only?(insert pathetic excuse here)

I repeat I may be reading your post wrong? and if so these words are not meant for you?

Re: Bronx Tale/Rich Dad/Poor Dad - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 07, 2005 at 16:27:30:

That did cross my mind that maybe RK saw this movie and it spawned the whole story. Like you said it certainly had no relation to his real life!

Holy Befuddlement… Batman - Posted by whohoo

Posted by whohoo on September 03, 2005 at 21:05:39:

See if you can retrieve that Baby that you just threw out with the bath water, will ya…

And the sound that you hear is NOT a Black Helicopter overhead, either.

You read it DEAD WRONG… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 03, 2005 at 20:47:10:

in fact I’m flabbergasted at your interpretation. I was simply pointing out plot similarities between a movie I saw and a book I read and next thing you know I’m in a documentary. When it comes to jumping to conclusions buddy, you could teach Evel Knievel how to clear the Grand Canyon!

You read it… - Posted by Bart (FL)

Posted by Bart (FL) on September 03, 2005 at 17:39:10:

…wrong.

Ben just seemed to be commenting on the two dad thing. In this case Good Dad/Bad Dad.

Bart (FL)

Ha, ha… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 03, 2005 at 21:19:20:

don’t tell me you and Bart missed the subliminal socio-economic Marxist commentary in my post. LOL!

I will take more carful aim next time - Posted by Judah Hoover

Posted by Judah Hoover on September 03, 2005 at 22:24:09:

Well? my bad Ben, it just seemed like you went out of your way to point out Sonny?s negative out look on the ?working man?. There have been tones of posts in recent days on ?the sky is falling?, ?RE investors are cooks? and the likes; I thought you might be revving up for that line of thought. I misunderstood you and I admitted that I might be in my comments twice so I say again, I may be reading your post wrong? and if so these words are not meant for you? I stand by my comments on how SOME (not you) view the achievers in this country.

Re: I will take more carful aim next time - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on September 05, 2005 at 13:32:00:

I wouldn’t go as far as to label myself a cook, but I have been known to swing a half decent omelet from time to time.