building a re website - Posted by brian

Posted by Terry(WI) on February 07, 2002 at 07:38:26:

FrontPage is very easy. Get the FrontPage Step by Step book and you will have what you need to get going. The Step by Step book is designed for beginners and it will show you how to add pictures as well. You should be able to get through the book in a weekend.

building a re website - Posted by brian

Posted by brian on February 07, 2002 at 24:37:09:

any suggestions on programs to build a re website that incorporates photos, possibly tours, for sale/for rent listings that i have.

i would like to build a professional yet cost efficient site.

any suggestions

Re: building a re website - Posted by Michael S. (CA)

Posted by Michael S. (CA) on February 08, 2002 at 13:51:31:

Brian,

Being a web developer for over 6 years, I think, downloading a piece of shareware web design software from http://www.download.com is your best bet. Test out some of the programs. Some are completely free. Also check out the link below

http://www.dezignforweb.com/store/index.cgi?command=s&ccat=15

It’s just one of the many HTML web templates companies are now offering. I just went to Google and typed in Real Estate Free Web Templates. Check out http://www.freewebtemplates.com.

Good luck,

Michael

P.S. If you need any assistance please email me at michael@mjswebsolutions.com

Re: building a re website - Posted by JJJ - FL

Posted by JJJ - FL on February 07, 2002 at 01:57:34:

As a web programmer (hopefully soon to be FORMER web programmer :stuck_out_tongue: ) it wouldn’t be hard for me to build a site, and if you have any experience with web sites it won’t be hard for you either.

Even if you are inexperienced its not too terribly difficult to put together a simple site with information, photos, and for sale/rent listings. You can use MS Frontpage or Frontpage Express, or Macromedia Dreamweaver.

Re: building a re website - Posted by Todd (OH)

Posted by Todd (OH) on February 07, 2002 at 18:57:40:

JJJ:

I just picked up a program called “Web Easy” (actually one word “Webeasy”) by “ixla”. Do you know anything about it?

The box sure made the program sound idiot-proof, and the box answered a lot of questions like “what can this program do for me?” The MS Frontpage box just seemed to say “Microsoft is huge, buy our stuff”…

I haven’t used the program yet, since I’ve been “sidetracked” by buying and selling and managing properties.

If you or anyone can shed light on this program, it would be appreciated…

Thanks,
Todd (OH)

Re: building a re website - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on February 07, 2002 at 07:24:43:

Hello JJJ,
For those of us that aren’t rocket scientist in webpages. Which of the softwear that you listed would be the easiest for a beginner in page design.
Thank you,
Dee-Texas

Re: building a website - Posted by Phil (CO)

Posted by Phil (CO) on February 07, 2002 at 10:27:18:

To throw another kink in your choice, I use Adobe GoLive. I like it - it’s very easy to build a web page using it. A couple of points you should be aware of, regardless of the software you choose:

1. Building a basic web site with pictures, text, mutliple pages, and links is very easy to do. However, when you want to collect information from people (e.g. have them fill out a form), it definitely is more complicated.

2. Even though the mechanics of setting up the web pages is easy, if you don’t know the lingo (which I assume you won’t), it can sometimes be difficult to do the things you want to do. Most of the books that teach you how to do these things use lingo that you’ll have to become familiar with.

3. Unless you want to stick with basic text and a few pictures, you will also need a graphics program to create buttons and fancy text. You probably never noticed this before, but most of the “text” that shows up on commercial web pages isn’t actually text, it is an image that was created in a graphic program that contains text.

By no means do I want to discourage anyone from building their own site, just be aware that it will take you some time at first. I learned how to do it on my own, but I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a geek engineer who likes to fiddle with computers.

Re: building a re website - Posted by J. Morton

Posted by J. Morton on February 07, 2002 at 10:00:02:

Hi JJJ,
I don’t know frontpage isn’t too bad - works like microsoft word, but it is slow. I’ve been using another site that just does pics and slideshows, and that’s working out well for me. You can follow that thread here: http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/77464.html

I just don’t have time to “do a site” much less learn a new peice of software - and it’s just plain simplier to let these at reonline.com guys handle it.

Re: building a re website - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on February 07, 2002 at 07:47:24:

Dee,
I would recommend Dreamweaver (DW) over FrontPage (FP). My current site (that’s on the web) is built with FP. Yes, it’s pretty easy, but it has kinks publishing to the web frequently due to the “extensions” becoming corrupted.

My latest revision (which isn’t up yet) is built with DW. It’s just as easy to learn, easier to work with and I personally think it smokes FP. Lynda Weiman has a hands-on tutorial available at bookstores and lynda.com that make it pretty easy.

I thought FP was pretty cool, until I worked with DW. That’s my two cents…