Business card idea what do you think? - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by GL(ON) on March 06, 2002 at 14:42:40:

And if he was some slick fast talking shyster with dirty jokes on his card I wouldn’t talk to him at all because I would know I was about to get rooked.

Business card idea what do you think? - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by Ed Eaton on March 06, 2002 at 14:01:54:

I am just getting started and need to make up some business cards. I plan on pursuing pre-forclosures and other distressed property strategies. I am of the opinion that the more I come across as a “slick” investor the less that homeowners will want to talk to me … so I’m thinking of making up a very generic business card. Just basically my name and phone number … no company name, no “I solve real estate problems”, none of that. What do you guys think? Just a really generic business card with my name, phone and fax numbers, that I can actually give to anyone for almost any purpose. I just want property owners to think I’m a regular Joe who lives here in town just like them, as opposed to a slick investor, etc.

Re: Business card idea what do you think? - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on March 06, 2002 at 14:27:35:

In my opinion, it depends on the area you live in. The tent style, bright orange cards that scream I buy houses may work in certain areas, but not all. Usually the fine print reads that you belong to a group of investors that buys 5-10 houses a month, blah blah blah. I have tried these and also plain but distinct cards. The plainer ones win hands down. But, this is just my opinion, everyone has experiences about cards I’m sure.

Re: Business card idea what do you think? - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on March 06, 2002 at 14:15:43:

Interesting question. I have always been told by experienced investors that the fancy jobs work better. It is a chance to put your best foot forward and make a good impression without spending much money.

I also doubt the wisdom of presenting yourself as a regular Joe. YOu are asking people to trust you with thier most valuable possession, their house. In order for them to trust you, they need to put you in a category with experts such as doctors, accountants and other trust worthy experts.

For these reasons I think it best to use fancy cards that project an image of expertise and success, but not to look too slick. In other words jokes and funny cartoons are out, along with anything racy or in bad taste.

I like it - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 06, 2002 at 14:05:09:

Ed,

I like that ideas. The only thing I might change is why not put on there that you buy homes.

One last idea. Why not get a set of flashy business cards and a setr of plain ones and see which ones work best or use the flashy ones to leave around and the plain ones can be used to give to people you meet.

Tim

My thinking… - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by Ed Eaton on March 06, 2002 at 14:25:47:

Thanks to both of you for the responses. Yes I am actually planning on making up 2 sets of business cards … one for property owners and one that I give to potential investors or almost anyone else. It’s just that I am going to be focusing on pre-forclosures and the last thing I want is for them to think “Hey honey I think this slick investor just wants to steal our house and make a fortune in the process”. I rather them see me as just an average Joe who happens to be able to help them out. I don’t have any real world experience yet but I just can’t see giving a fancy business card to someone who owns a house that is close to being forclosed on that I am trying to buy. What do you think?

Re: My thinking… - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on March 06, 2002 at 14:40:37:

If I were selling my house to an investor, especially if it were a creative deal, I would be full of worry and doubt. But if I thought the guy was a real expert who knew what he was doing, and had the finances to back himself up, then I wouldn’t worry.

If I thought he was an ordinary Joe, no better or smarter than me, who had never done this before but was willing to give it a shot with my house, I would either be a lot more demanding and one sided in my favor or maybe I wouldn’t do the deal at all.