business names - Posted by DHenderson

Posted by Jason-DTX on March 09, 1999 at 24:26:27:

When I sign checks, advertising contracts and other important legal documents I sign as President. My Trustee signs my contracts for deed and if I have to send late letters to buyer’s and other correspondance I then sign as Regional Manager of the company that is servicing their contract. I sign both ways depending on what I’m signing. My card has Regional manager on it though since I give it to everyone. I think there are some things that it is ok to sign as manager and some things that need to be signed as President. I may be wrong but it shouldn’t be any different then a car salesman getting the sales manager to approve a price. I guess it depends on what the corporate resolutions allow you to sign and in what manner.
Jason Windholz

business names - Posted by DHenderson

Posted by DHenderson on March 08, 1999 at 07:53:29:

Hi! Everyone,
Remember when they were talking about corps and land trusts (at the convention) to protect your assets? I am having business cards made and was wondering if I needed to advertise (with my name) what I do. Example Henderson Properties? Would this name flag someone looking for records on real estate ownership? Darn! I hope that I’m making myself understood. Some of the business cards I am getting have Joe Smith Enterprises, etc.
Any ideas and information. Thank you. :slight_smile:

I Loved Dirk Roach’s Business Card… - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on March 09, 1999 at 08:26:53:

it said…

Dirk Roach
Problem Solver

###-###-####

No company name, no business type, nothing. He could just as easily have sold cars, mobile homes, mortgages, real estate, or even Xerox machines and it would have been appropriate.

Just the name and the phone number are what worked for him. Never seen anything like it, especially nothing as effective…

There were other cards I saw from people at the convention. One didn’t even have a name on it, which I also thought was a good idea. All it said was “I Buy Houses” with voice and fax numbers, and an address to send anything in writing to.

Just food 4 thought…

raelynn

Its best not to use your name… - Posted by Jason-DTX

Posted by Jason-DTX on March 08, 1999 at 11:16:35:

…unless you have a big ego.
I do business in a corporation and my business card refers me as Regional Manager. I don’t want people to know I’m also the president. When I deal with buyers, tenants, and even sellers and they ask for something unreasonable I like to tell them “I don’t think that will work but let me ask my boss and see if he can ok it.” That way I’m not the bad guy and I can keep a good relationship with them. Also they will accept a “no” a little better later on rather than if you keep telling them no right away.
Another thing is that everyone thinks that I’m just the property mananger and they don’t know where to look or who to sue if they ever get mad. I’ve had some lawsuit threats from buyers who stopped paying and then got mad when they had to leave. Remember Bronchick’s advice “Control - don’t own” and “appear broke” that stuff really works.
Jason Windholz

Re: Hey, Raelyn…Do you guys do…? - Posted by Patricia

Posted by Patricia on March 09, 1999 at 11:02:51:

Sorry… I just couldn’t resist ! !

Patricia :slight_smile:

Hmmm… I wonder… - Posted by Michael Murray, Colo.

Posted by Michael Murray, Colo. on March 08, 1999 at 20:56:01:

Say, Jason, I seem to remember Mr. Bronchick saying something to the effect that only officers of a Corp. could make the legal decisions, and that you should sign your name as the president or secretary in the name of the Corp. or else the Corporate veil could be easily pierced in a dispute. You might want to check out whether a manager is an officer and can sign as the legal representative of the Corp. Just a thought for your use.

Michael