BUYING A HOUSE FROM THE OWNER - Posted by STEVE RHOADS

Posted by John Merchant on September 03, 2003 at 12:32:54:

Suggest you READ the contract! How would anybody else know what exactly you did agree to?

But it does sound like you might have signed one that is pretty broad, and maybe unenforceable if it binds you to use that agent on any RE, anywhere, etc…and if it’s that broad, the courts in your state might not allow such a contract to be enforced.

If you think it is that broad, suggest you go spend a few bucks having a lawyer read it and advise you how to proceed from there.

BUYING A HOUSE FROM THE OWNER - Posted by STEVE RHOADS

Posted by STEVE RHOADS on September 03, 2003 at 10:44:15:

I have been looking for a house for a couple of months and found one I liked. The real estate agent made me sign a buyer contract valid for six months. The house I liked fell through due to water problems I then found a house on the internet that was for sale by owner with no seller agent. My questions are do I have to notify my agent that I found a house and do I still have to pay his commission on this house? I don’t want to ask my agent about this because I don’t want to burn a bridge in case this doesn’t work out. thanks from Connecticut!