Buying at Sheriffs Auction-need quick help - Posted by Brian, WI

Posted by Marc in PDX on January 11, 2001 at 11:42:47:

> What do I have to bring with me to buy?

Depends on your local laws, but here in Oregon, you’ll need not just financing, but ACTUAL CASH, in the form of a cashier’s check in the amount of your expected bid. You provide that when you register for the auction. However, in some areas, you only have to put down 10% and must agree to have the rest by 2pm that day. Call your Sherrif’s Dept. and ask.

Don’t forget to call about a week before the auction to make sure it’s still going through: most don’t get to auction.

Yes, you should contact the present owners NOW. (If you don’t, someone else will.) Drive over there and knock on the door and ask them if they’d be interested in selling their house. Don’t call or mail, or you’ll just be like all the others who’ve contacted them in the last year.

Buying at Sheriffs Auction-need quick help - Posted by Brian, WI

Posted by Brian, WI on January 11, 2001 at 04:49:30:

There is a posting by the Sheriff’s Department of a house in my city that is to go to auction on Feb. 19, 2001.

The house is very big and nice. I think it was on the market about 2 years ago for about $300K, but don’t know what it sold for if it even did.

I’m looking for any/all advice about sheriff’s auctions. What do I have to bring with me to buy? Just a letter from my bank showing what they will loan? Is there anything else? Is there anything I should need to know about the house itself? How about the owners, should I contact them before the auction to see if a deal can be made?

Anything else anyone can help with? It would be great to get this house if I could at a good deal.

Thanks

Brian