Buying in Fla - Posted by Rick Hall

Re: Eric What About Sarasota - Posted by Rick Hall

Posted by Rick Hall on February 09, 2009 at 19:45:10:

Thanks Eric,
I will definitely add Port St Lucie to my list of places to look into. That is exactly what I was looking for here, insight into markets that are very crushed now, but that have good fundamentals, and should be the ones to recover the best vs. the areas that were purely speculative and only grew because of everyone buying and building houses there. I will let you know how things turn out, and maybe even give you a heads-up before I head into to town (I think the advise calls for a beer or five on me!)

No, but…? - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on February 10, 2009 at 04:24:10:

I like the FL properties and still go there each year. This year it was St. Augustine. Anyway, I do have a nice 4/2 ocean view property on the Outer Banks that fit your “fixer upper” parameters for one of your serious cash flow props in PA. Contact me via email for details. BTW, it never gets that cold here but there really arn’t many “beach” days in January either. I usually get about 3 or 4 each year in the winter where I can sit on the beach for a couple hours in shorts and a t-shirt. I told that to Riply and he didn’t believe it, but it’s true.

Re: Eric What About Sarasota - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on February 10, 2009 at 05:16:26:

Rick, I’ve been following this thread with some interest as I own down there. Anyway, with that said I have noticed a progression in your posts that you may not realize and I thought I would bring it to your attention FYI. Simply put, it seems that you make a choice for yourself and have expressed serious interest in both. That is between your WANTS, priorities, and desires for your familys’ vacation areas and depressed REI areas where the “good deal” is first and foremost. You may find a little of both. In my view given what I know in this thread, would be to look for the ideal area or region in FL. that makes US HAPPY, then look for the best deal in that specific area. I don’t see any logic in purchasing in an area that is not as fun for vacation simply to be the best investment unless an investment is what you are really looking for. Somewhere in this thread I believe you said that the “investment” was secondary. Do I sound confusing? Let us know what you decide and good hunting. That’s fun too.

Re: No, but…? - Posted by Rick Hall

Posted by Rick Hall on February 10, 2009 at 07:35:22:

What’s the info for your property in Outer Banks? What price are you looking to get out of it, and what does it need as far as the rehab? As I said, I have a crew here that would love to head south for a few weeks to work on a rehab project that isnt’ in 10 degree weather! We just finished one here, and will be starting 2 more within a couple weeks or so, but I’m sure we can schedule some time after these are finished (probably in April) to head into NC for a new project. Up here I do have plenty of units I could offer in trade if you would be interested.

Re: Eric What About Sarasota - Posted by Rick Hall

Posted by Rick Hall on February 10, 2009 at 07:33:30:

Wayne,
Yes, you sound a bit confusing! I bet that could partially attrubuted to me being confusing in the first place… mainly because I AM CONFUSED!
I apparently reveal that little secret in my posts as well!

I suppose that the investment part somes first, as anything in FL would be a fine starter “vacation” house for me. I just didn’t want anyone to think that I was planning on holding it as a rental property. I would not put tenants in it. I would however like it to be relatively close to a beach, that’s my only factor. I don’t really care if it’s a beach on the Gulf side or the Atlantic side.

I love beaches! - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on February 10, 2009 at 07:56:18:

Well, we can be confused separately together. As far as beaches go, there is nobody that can explain more than me on that subject. I have lived on them for over 50 years and have been on many all over the western hemi, so I have my opinions based on facts. The gulf and the ocean are totally different “animals” if you will. I can help you distinguish between both for maybe a more accurate decision. It has to be based on what you like. I have both available to me all the time and it is my favorite subject. Like beer on the beach? We can talk business there. Another favorite past time of mine when I’m not in the water!

Beer on the beach - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on February 12, 2009 at 06:00:50:

is one of the best things about the Outer Banks. One of my favorite pastimes is to drink some cold ones on the beach without any hassles from the law. In Virginia Beach it’s not allowed, so you’ve got to drink your adult beverage from a cup, if you know what I mean.

–Natalie

Beer and Beaches - Posted by Rick Hall

Posted by Rick Hall on February 10, 2009 at 09:32:13:

Beer happens to be one fo my favorite subjects as well! Why do you think I was posting on here at 2am last night! Buzzed posting…Just fine… Drunken posting… I do not reccomend so much!
I’ll start planning the trip!

Re: I love beaches! - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on February 10, 2009 at 09:00:48:

Beer on the beach…now your talking Wayne!

I just may have to have my lunch down by the Gulf today.

RichV(FL)

The Forbidden Sands - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on February 12, 2009 at 13:45:26:

Drugs can come and go, but just try to get a beer on a beach in NJ! That’s why you appreciate the other beachs like those here as you mentioned and the others in FL and HI. Of course that is not my only catagory for enjoyment, but it is duly noted.

Where On The Gulf Rich nt - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on February 10, 2009 at 11:44:56:

nt

Where’s your reccomendation RichV? - Posted by Rick Hall

Posted by Rick Hall on February 10, 2009 at 09:13:44:

I’ve been waiting for you to chime in… and when you do, it’s about beer and the beach, as I sit here in 35 degree weather (it’s a heat wave here in PA right now) I’m all jealous and cold, and you’re not helping me pick a location!

Help a brother out! I promise not to become TOO big of a FL investor and start being any competition for you! There’s enough houses to go around aren’t there!

Re: Where On The Gulf Rich nt - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on February 11, 2009 at 05:41:28:

Phil,
I’m in the Sarasota area.

Stop it… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on February 11, 2009 at 06:14:58:

Rich:

When the rest of us up north are still dealing with winter… snow and ice… the sound of “Sarasota” is like rubbing salt in the wound…

I could go for some FL sunshine about now… :slight_smile: