buying MH with open title!! - Posted by Mark-MO

Posted by Mark-MO on June 04, 2000 at 10:11:14:

nt

buying MH with open title!! - Posted by Mark-MO

Posted by Mark-MO on June 02, 2000 at 20:26:19:

I’ve been negotiating with a seller of an older, trashed MH for a couple of weeks. Finally got my price ($1000), but seller just told me that she had never transferred title to her name. She owes the MH park $1200 in back rent and he is taking her to court 6/26 to recover his money. My plan is to take title with no money to seller, but I will pay the park owner (he will discount what is owed by $200 to me). Am I asking for problems with the state or ?? because the seller doesn’t actually “own” the MH? Don’t want trouble!! Thanks in advance… -Mark

Re: buying MH with open title!! - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on June 02, 2000 at 20:44:30:

Check title and see if it is still possible for the seller to still register the home in her name and then sell it to you.

If not, your next best alternative may be for the park to obtain title via an abandonment title. The park could then sell the home to you.

I have recently had to do it both ways. I have found on a couple of deals that several owners have transferred title without anyone ever re-titling the home in their name. Then of course there is an error on the title (someone signed in the wrong spot) and DMV won’t reissue a title to anyone but the registered owner who no one either knows or knows where they now live. One park manager told me that in cases like this the State Police may be able to help out. I personally don’t see how but it may at least be worth pursuing.

Hope this helps,

Tony-VA